Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Clark

Clark

Are you comparing a flat black car to a gloss black car? Lighter colors will always show less dust, dirt and fingerprints.

Yes a chalked flat black will show more fingerprints. It obsorbs the oil in your fingers.

Now I don't use the Flatz stuff....I have my own way of doing things. My truck doen't get washed that much and it usually looks nice. Easy maintenance and when I do wash it I don't have to dry it.

Can a gloss car glow like this??? That's why we do it. It looks different and really pops in the right light. It's all about the LOOK!
    Clark

Attached Files:

2. Clark

Clark

That was a bad pic to see how a flat paint job can glow...how about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. blown41

blown41

Clark,
    Those rods look awesome! Are you gonna tell us your painting secrets?

4. suicidal-element

suicidal-element
    from Auburn, CA

We shot mine with the copper matallic from Hot Rod Flatz!!! I loved it!!!! The paint just pops like crazy in the sun and broke alot of necks. The only thing we noticed is that I had to use 2 of the gallon kits to get it done. The stuff lays down a lil thin. Other than that, i would definantly used it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Thats only cause they werent smart enuff to tape off the windows.. :D I had a 30 a tudor I did with ppg dp90 and it showed as much shit as every thing else ive owned cept i didnt have to worry about polishing it and you could touch up most chips with a black sharpie.. ;)
    Dave

6. mine has been in hot rod flatz for a year now! my car sits outdoors everyday rain or shine and i got no problems with it! it still shines as good as it did when it was first shot! I've had basecoats before and they start to get dull and chalkie when it sits outdoors! and as for the price its very affordable!

7. tommy v

tommy v

heres one of my old box's,this one is base , looks a little more shineer than the hot roddz flat thats why i like base coat ,looks like your suicidal--[​IMG]

8. Clark

Clark

No secrets....well there is one little trick I keep up my sleeve :)

I use regular base coat with PPG flex and flat clear. Sprays nice, lays out nice and holds up to the weather really good.

My truck was done 3 or 4 years ago. It looks good minus the abuse I've put it through.

I have touched up the flat clear but used a body line to hide the overspray. Matched after 4 years.
    Clark

9. kitbox56

kitbox56

Hey Clark
    you use PPG flex and flat clear, what is ''flex'' and what is it's purpose?
    Thanks
    James

10. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

The flex and flat clear is designed to be used on the urethane soft bumbers of modern cars. The fronts and rear facias of these cars flex, without an elastic clear the paint would crack! I may be trying some flex flat soon over black base. Ill post my results.

11. scr8p

scr8p

i haven't used ppg products since the mid 90's, but i guess that would be along the same lines as Dupont's 2360S flexible matte additive? depending on the mix ratio, you can achieve either a semi-gloss, satin, or flat finish.

12. just my 2 cents i'm I sprayed my henry j with ppg jet black and than put 26% flattener in the clear and it looks like primer but I can wash the bird crap off it and oil too. just cant wax it but clears of today last longer than acouple of years ago so who wants to wax anyway

Attached Files:

13. Clark

Clark

The PPG flex and flat clear comes premixed. Like it was mentioned it's for bumpers and my paint suplier calls it bumper clear. It comes it quart cans. It's not cheap but works great! A quart costs about $70 without the catylist.

Couple of quick tips on what I do...minimum 2 coats. If you try to get away with one coat it will streak (I tried :)) Strain!!! Strain the clear or you will end up with small white spots in your paint.

I'd do a test panel on the black. The clear is a little milky so you may not get a true black. For black and other nonmetalic colors I've used a single stage eurethane. Ask your paint guy for Bus or Helicopter hood paint.....flat and durable. He can use that formula for colors.
    Clark

14. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Glad to see other people wanting to use hot rod flatz. I plan to use a metallic color on my caddy here hopefully very soon.

15. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I had it on my Merc truck....It was great! I hardly ever cleaned it and it almost always looked great. It's NOT like using a primer or DP90, it really didn't show much as far as dust and finger prints and such. I used the copper color like the shoebox above. It was a pain in the ass to match though.... I even saved some from the same batch. You have to make sure to mix it REALLY well.

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

How was the green coupe sprayed and what paint was used? That would look sweeeeeeeet on my dodge.

17. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

i just painted my 38 chev pickup last night and i used bmw matte black urathane mixed 3:1:1 bmw uses it under the hood and some frame stuff it looks like flat black primer but it is uv protected and does not absorb the water

18. el-emeno

el-emeno
    from BC

Gotta weigh in here. Some of the paint effects discussed here are actually photography effects. Putting a polariser on a lens reduces the reflections making a paint look flatter, and making windows look clearer (and some other cool things). The teal pick-up above is a perfect example -- that's really shiny paint. So much so that without a polariser you'd see more shine than colour.

All that to say don't base your paint choice on a single photo! That'd be bad... :)

19. think about John Deere Flat Black and use "WASH/WAX ALL-as a protectorant. The Wash/Wax All is a water based product with uv protectorant. I use it on all my cars, boat, airplane, etc. Look on the Net under AeroCosmetics. First saw it years ago at a high end Collector car show, have used it ever since. It's about $35/gallon, or $13/ 32 squirt bottle.

20. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Ive been looking at cars painted with the john deere paint and the intial look is great! BUT, after about 2 to three years the black fades quite a bit to a more not so black kinda charcoal look which just wont cut it for me. Recently

21. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

sorry bumped the bar. anyway at the autofair in NC. (where the rent a cops are o'so nice) I talked to a guy with 3 yr old john deere paint on his ride. But a freshly sprayed "hog" tank for a console. The difference obvious. To bad it fades cause i really like the fresh black look.

22. kenbo

kenbo
    from Texas

PPG offers a good flat clear called flexed and flat, I found mixing it about fifty fifty with regular clear to get a simi gloss finish. You can also get a flatning agent and to ad untill disired gloss achieved. When I do black I sometimes ad a little white "very little" to soften it slightly.

23. George G

George G

Am planning to use a single stage gloss paint. What is this 'flattening agent" you speak of??

24. ab supply

ab supply
    from fremont

Flattening Agent is a talc type of binder that can be added to single stage or clear..The Flatz line being Omni (correct me if I'm wrong)which is PPGs low end product line of single stage or base..swap out the binder with Flattening Agent and you get a Flat Finish..You can stomp any single stage or clear as long as the correct flattener is available..problems with flattened products are related to dry times..The longer the dry time the shinier the end result..if you spray unevenly it can show up uneven too..Polish Flat and you get shiny..Good results can come from any product in the right hands..Theres are multiple ways to go to get Flat Finishes ...

25. HFKND1

HFKND1
    from Peoria, IL

We used the product last year on a 50 Ford we noticed the temprature played a major role in the amount of thiner that needed to be used. Be sure to do some test panels and let them set up. We were spraying in early spring so it was a bit cold low-mid fifties and are test panels had a small amount of texture once they set up a bit more thinner and gun adjustments smoothed it right out. For the money it is a great product in our opinion.

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The nice thing about the way Clark does it is that you have some play in the gloss by using a seperate flatening agent, not to mention a million basecoats to choose from. Plus you get the added protection of a base/clear job, with the ease of touchup, like Clark mentioned. I have seen the jobs Cark has done and they aren't as flat as most others around and IMO that is the right look when you go for a flat finish. He's got it down.

27. This may sound dumb....since i have no painting experience and looking to shoot my car in the copper color...do you need to clear it? it says single stage so i'll assume no, but just planning for summer time. also what would be the best temps to spray in?

28. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

so what you saying is that hot rod flatz is acrylic enamel with the flattner in it?

29. The John-Deere 'Blitz' black is made by Valsar and there is a hardener available to use in it. The hardener number is #REN3001. We use it alot (adding only about half the recommended hardener) as with the full recommended hardener it adds a slight more sheen. This does seem to add to the life of it though.

Cooter

30. BigChief

BigChief

Yes.