Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Film Festival.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie Hot Rod, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

So, it's no secret (to some, lol) that I make Hot Rod movies. I've been tossing the idea around with some friends about getting a few Hot Rod Documentaries / films / etc. . . together and putting together a Hot Rod Film Festival.

Somewhere, where everyone can sit around with like minded folks and check out these movies on the big screen, in a theater.

Just wanted to see if anyone would be interested, or would I be eating popcorn by myself?

Since I'm from NYC, it would probably take place somewhere in The New York Tri-State Area (that's The North East, :))

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. I'm on the wrong coast to attend but I think it sounds like a cool thing to do. I mean any excuse to get together is a good one to me. I'd like to see your movies too.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like a great idea. just will take some good connections or sponsors to help pay for stuff. hope that you can pull it off.

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

If it can work, it could also be a great outlet for new film makers, and guys with short films, etc. . . to get their stuff seen.

I've noticed that "regular" film festivals want nothing to do with Hot Rods, cars, bikes, etc. . . they only want movies that look into how awful someone elses life is, with a sad ending.

So it might be cool to get an event like this going, something where people who like cars can see car movies with other car guys on the big screen.

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Could work out very cool. As Jalopy Joker said, you'd need to get the right place, the right time, and the right people involved to "get 'er done".

If there's a Retro-Drive-In anywhere near you, they might be able to run it on a Fri./Sat. Night slot during the Summer Crusin' Season; a left-over "mom & pop" indoor theater would be perfect for the Fall Season...when everyone sorta gets nostalgic anyway, with Halloween, Thanksgiving, et al, on the way.

Whatever the case, if it was in my St.L Area, I'd sure be there !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

We've got a Drive-In about an hour north of here in Warwick, NY. I don't know much about their policies in regards to "private events" but it's definitely something I'll look into.

7. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Im already excited and its only an idea! hahaha

8. Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think that's a great idea. I know you didn't ask, but...

I'd shoot for either an old, restored theatre or drive-in to show the films. My old college got the "Best of the Ann Arbor Film Festival" every year when the selected films went on tour. The program's volunteer hosts in our Art Department ran the films every evening and on the last day they ran just the hit films again by popular request. It was a hoot.

I suspect you might want to have some cars at the showings, too, but I certainly wouldn't combine the festival with a major car event. We found out here 2 years ago, that most folks are just too burnt out by Saturday evening to have anything much to do that evening than eat and sleep! Sure they were wimps, but it sure cuts the attendance down. I'd recommend you make it a 4-5:00 PM roll in with your hot rod (when it's cooler and there is some shade) and start showing at 6:30PM or so. For a single night event, you might consider a program of films that are short enough in total that you can re-run them all again at a later time at a second seating. For a two day event, have the early show on the second day be a repeat, and then run a "best of" show as the feature group of films on the second night. Gary

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Gary, any input is welcomed.

I was thinking along the lines of a stand alone event, like you said not in conjunction with a car show. Personally I'd like to do it at a theater, but that's just the film nerd in me wanting a "cinematic" experience.

Intially I thought of a one day event, a few feature length films with some short films tossed in between. People can see just the films they want, or get a pass to see them all.

Hopefully if it went well, it would spur people to make films with the event in mind down the line. Sort of like the "Sundance" of car film festivals.

Sure this is all wishful thinking, but I'm hopeful.

11. that would be sick...I would make the drive for that

12. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'm on the wrong coast, otherwise I'd be there

13. i thinm Warwick is doable and yes i believe they do private events, years ago (early 80s) we did a double header at the old "Little Ferry Drive " in NJ...... American Graffiti and Hollywood Knights

14. 49worktruck

49worktruck

Great idea Brian, count me in. If you need help scouting theaters I can help in the Orange County area.

15. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

Great idea, a drive-in would be great. I remember watching your movie at e-town with the Burbank Choppers........way cool.

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

So, we've got Piero DeLuca on board to show one of his films, Marky and Arie from Hot Rod Havoc should be in, and I'll have some new films as well. Things look like they're shaping up.

I'd like to find a few short films to show in between (if anyone has anything they've made please PM me).

I'm going to work on finding some more content, securing a theater, and deciding on a date (We've discussed doing it sometime in September).

This just might work out after all.

17. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Good Stuff all starting to come together!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

sounds like a great idea to me!

19. Doesn't do me any good! Hope you guys do this....sounds like fun. Let me know when there's a West Coast version....haha

20. Brian,
    Sounds like a outstanding idea. But way to far away for me. I know it would work and I am sure you will have a great bunch of grearheads show up for it.
    GO FOR IT DUDE!

21. Kinky6

Kinky6

While I like the idea of something like this in a drive-in ( cars & movies about cars - what a combo), the drive-in location might not be available in a lot of locations.

The university where I work opened up a new student center a few months ago. Among other things, it has a movie theatre with digital projection equipment. Now I know this is getting into egghead territory, but a facility like that might be had cheap or free for a couple of weekend evenings if someone in the history or sociology dept. sponsors the use as having "academic merit", ie., the role of the hot rod and automotive culture in the U.S., etc., etc.

Too brainy? How about the same deal, finding a video projection equipped theatre at a local community college, maybe one with an automotive tech, paint & body, or welding & fab. program. Get some local car clubs involved, some of the gate can go to scholarships, you got an event! Maybe hold a car show in connection with the film showing ( including secured parking areas w/ help from campus police). Good way to connect with some young gearheads.

Anyhow, part of what I do here is event planning, these just came to mind.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

22. SoCal

SoCal

I don't really have 'films' as such like yours but you're more than welcome to use any of my standalone feature type things as shorts.
    Check out hotrodrevue.co.nz - specifically 'Rocketbird' or 'A Roadster, Refined' but there's a few on there and more in the edit suite now.
    Cheers,
    Cal

23. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Cal, that's awesome. I kind of had the idea of showing three or four feature length films (60 mins. and up) then playing a bunch of short films (10/15 mins. and under) between the longer movies.

As far as a venues are concerned, as much as I love the idea of a drive-in, I just don't think it will be possible. The time of year that makes a drive in doable would have us fighting nightfall and limit the event.

If it gets dark after 8:00pm, it would be hard to show more than two movies. I'd like to start in the afternoon, and have the last film of the day starting at 8/9:00pm.

But it looks like content won't be an issue. If anyone have anything they think might fit in, send me a message.

24. 62dartman

62dartman

I'm in! Sounds like an awesome idea!! Have you ever been to the old Loews in Jersey City??? That would be an awesome spot to do it. Only a block from the PATH station for the new yorkers, decent hot rod parking out front, and the theater is beautifully old (classic). I know they used to rent it out for private parties/weddings a few years back.

25. 62dartman

62dartman

Or the idea of the drive-in in NY would be pretty cool to. Good luck with it!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I say at the Rodder's Journal Revival. You'll already have everyone's attention.

27. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Thats a great idea. Hope everything works out well for you…would love to have something like that in Chicagoland area.

28. I am in the middle of putting together one that is about 15 min. Its called a day in the deuce. Its all about around here in down town phoenix. Kind of like a long taco/lunch run that turns out to be so much more. Depending on when you want it i could have it done. Its all shot with I-phone and Contour sport camera.

29. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Post it on youtube at least so we can see it

30. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

If you didn't mind traveling you could do it at Dixie Fried.
    That show takes place at a drive in and they typically play
    old horror/scifi movies at night. I bet they could be talked
    into switching the format.