Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Drags. My first trip down the strip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

<!--RESPONSE_TO-->

<!--GALLERYINCLUDE-->[​IMG]

First time on the strip with the Pumpkin so was a bit apprehensive, managed to deep stage (get me) by accident and slept on the tree to run a 13.91 with me lifting and then actually braking (der!) before I went through the lights. I could make out this was a shake down run and all part of the plan but it wasnt.

Upon close examination of my first timing slip my 60 times are bloody awful and to be honest so are the 330's. I think that the major problem was I have never driven the car with a crash helmet before and I couldnt hear the engine or judge how much wheel spin I actually was getting.

From my pit crew, well actually my mate Mark, Adam and a selection of the Outlaws it would appear that I had wheelspin right through first and 2nd and possibly the beggining of 3rd.

For those interested the 60ft was 2.459 and the 330ft was 6.249. MPH1 (what ever that is?) was 84.18 whilst the final mph was 96.01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtqbYN5Q8OU

Did I tell you that I was hooked?

Round for a second go and decided to be a pro and attemp a burn out to get some sort of traction off the line. Oh dear...

All I managed to do was stall the bloody thing as I pulled out of the water. Panic as it just would turn over but thankfully I managed to get it started after much swearing inside my helmet.

Concentrated this time and some how managed to get a .273 reaction time but still a lot of wheel spin and another piss poor 60ft time.

This time changed into 3rd and the car just felt very flat and had a very slight miss, short shifted into 4th managed a 13.84 at 102.14. At least I didnt brake this time!

60ft was 2.255 330ft was 5.846 and MPH1 was 79.48.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igidKhYDLPA

My P19 race number was quickly abreviated...

[​IMG]

Pulled around for another try but this time we swapped drivers (naughty) but I will let Adam tell you all about that!.

Pulled the car back to the swamp after Adams run to give it a look over to find the cause of the poor performance and by the time we had it all buttoned back up it was dinner time (thanks again the the Outlaws) and the track closed early due to a big oil down.

Didnt get out today as I had to get back home but had a fantastic day and I am well and truely smitten now!

Think that if I can find some traction then I will be down to 13.5sec maybe a bit lower but that will all have to wait until next year now.

Thanks for everyone for making me feel welcome and to everyone in the fire up lane that stoped for a chat.

Big thumbs up to Adam for lending me his race jacket so I felt the part, Mark and Dianne for letting me go!

Last thanks go to the Outlaws who made both Mark and I feel like part of the gang and kept us fed and entertained.

Roll on the next one.

P.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] <!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><TABLE class=signature cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

looks like your off to a good start !
    you know it`s very addictive right ?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Nice one Paul!I should have introduced my self to you,when I asked Adam where Russ Pepper was!A friend of mine from work went to the Drags for the first time, now he's on about selling his Rally cars and buying something different!itdoes get into yhe BLOOD!

4. Paul Y

Paul Y

You should have come and said hello! Cant believe how many people came upto me and said Hi both from the HAMB and the NSRA.

It had the same effect on my friend Mark. He is now on about getting a 32 roadster!

Another one converted

I know what you mean about addictive, now need to get some pointers as to how to improve my times. Set of tyres looks favorite

P.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I know what you mean about addictive, now need to get some pointers as to how to improve my times. Set of tyres looks favorite

P.[/quote

:D:D OOOhhh SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!!!:D:D

Nick.

6. belair

belair

Smashing pumpkin! I dig the steering wheel too.

7. Paul Y

Paul Y

Too Late!!!!!

P:D