Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Shiftee

Shiftee

Good Mag, A little high on the price but would buy it if theres another?

2. Good that is what I want to hear. All I can say is now I do not have to buy old school or kar kulture anymore since this mag is going to blow those guys out of the water. Why you ask? Because hot rod mag has all the old photos and they don't so they can run them again and some of the ones that have never seen the light of day. I like the photos because you can see the whole car. Keep it just like it is and you guys will rule the world. ( or just your little corner)

I have some stuff you guys might like who do I send it too?
    When do subsciptions start and how much?

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i love it. i bought 2. one to put up with my 2 first issues and one for the shitter!:D i agree with the guy above, the skratch pics are a lil to dark! but other then that, i really like it....now if they coule get it out once a month, id be happy!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

BUT, the exact opposite should have happened. You want to IMPRESS your customers with your "new" product, NOT have them thinking that it's not a good value. The first issue should have blown away folks with them stating "WOW, super issue, TONS of information", instead folks are discussing how thin the issue is in relation to the price.

This is NOT the reaction I would want if I was the big cheese at the publishing house.

I will head out to the local bookstore, grab something to drink, sit down, read it cover to cover and probably not buy it but price isn't the reason. I'm just not buying mags any longer.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

[​IMG]
    Ummm I dont really give a shit less about the mag or its price... if its cool when i look at it in the store ill buy it.

My real question is to 'Ol Skratch.. The creator of the Ball Skratcher in the pic, What is the idea with the exhaust crossover haveing its own lil pipe going over the Valve Cover ?

That Caddy would look much cleaner if you ditch that lil pipe Man !!:D

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

What's up man?- are you getting paid for each negative comment? I know this board is supposed to be an open forum for opinions and discussion- but lately it just seems that people have no brakes on the bashing. Not saying you are the only one- but there are a number of bullies in the playground right now.

I know you can say you are friends with SOME of these people, but this lets EVERYONE think they can kick rocks at every car.

7. photofink

photofink

With the new issue cover with the old issue cover side by side you can really see the change in direction of the magazine...but since I usually end up judging a book by its cover I guess I should read before I type.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Naw Jim,

I know Skratch fairly well and its just an observation on my part about the Lil pipe... You will have to agree the Lil pipe from the top does Distract from the Looks of an otherwise Very nice Lookin Caddy mill.

As for the "Ball Skratcher" comment.... Ol Skratch knows i am just Yankin hi Chain a lil... Didnt ya see the lil smiley face ?:D

What more do ya want ? At least i smiled this time :rolleyes:

9. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Alright, so has anybody spotted this mag in the GA area??? I don't think we have 7-11 here.

10. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

Oh boy...lite the burning gas fire on ole Skratch...I thought he went a bit agro on the price of the mag...wait till he reads this. This should get good.

I guess I have to count couch change to scrape the coinage to go get this much talked about mag!

And skratch i was diggin the car when i saw it on TV when you took it to "Bobs Big Boy"...but the best was when you asked that white hair soul patch dude what he thought of it and he just stared blankly for a whiskey second and you said "you're over it"...I have to say I fell off the couch in laughter! That was great...and I don't think you stripe like a fem...where did that come from?
    Anyway...off the buy the mag! Late.

11. 1929rats

1929rats

Are you kiddin me? 6.99 -- yeah, its a good piece of change... but next time I go to the bar, I'll pretend Im broke and have someone pay for my first two beers----easy as that....I think its money well spent and loved the layout of the vintage C1 vettes and the newly built vicious vette. Hopefully they make it a quarterly rag like traditional Rod and Kulture....Just to support the cause I bought the mag....and thought about buying two....

Favorite mags are: TRJ, R&C, Trad R&K, Garage, rolls and pleats, and this one....(along with the street rodder I dont subscribe to anymore, but pickup here and there).

Hopefully they keep putting this one out....I loved it! Job well done ---and not OVER the TOP like OSR (or one of "those" rags)

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

Picked one up a couple of days ago before work. Couldnt wait to go home so I could look at it. Nice magazine with a nice traditional feel, hope it lasts

13. DrJ

DrJ

Haven't found it in Long Beach yet.
    Anyone know where I can buy one?
    (Without using $6.99 worth of gas getting to it?)

ETA
    Found it at B&N on PCH & 2nd there's about 4 more copies there too.

14. skratch

skratch

as you know ...caddies have smal exhaust ports .so ,im letting them have some breathing roo m ..and i think it looks bitchin .from the side and from the front .its right on ....oh and i got " grumpy old rick "to comment on it ...

as far as the ball skratcher comment ..don't hate ....i know that you wish / think of me .when you're rubbibg one out ..so ,,that would make you " grumpy gay old rick " ..:^) _

the car is down and out for ..paint ..see you at the grand nationals ..with it ..

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

DAMN SKRATCH.... YOU DIRTY BASTARD !!! :eek:

16. huero

huero

Sorry, I failed to mention that. That is the exact location where I saw the mag.

17. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

Went out looking for it again this weekend, boarders nope, barnes&nobles nope. Then we stopped by walgreens to see my daughter and they had it! It was the only car magazine they had.

Duke

18. doughboy2

doughboy2
    from California

Nailhead Lovers!
    Rocket Lovers!
    Y-Block Lovers!

Tell us your success stories. We're looking for resources for these engines in upcoming Hot Rod Deluxe issues.

If you liked Marlan's Flathead Guide O' Death, you'll love these too.

So write away, okay?

19. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Found a copy this weekend 2 hours away in Winder, GA for any folks looking.

20. Trent, what flood? Did that Hermosa deluge this summer get you? Sorry to hear that, that really sucks. Tell me the ugly details.

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I found the new HRD at Ralph's supermarket in San Pedro yesterday. Kind of a surprise, because their newsstand is pretty lame.

I like the book a lot, although I completely agree that at 98 pages for $7 they're pushing their luck. I'm guessing that if it lasts, the page count will go up to a more familiar number because of the additional pages of advertising. Be careful what you wish for...

I haven't followed Dave Freiburger's work closely -- haven't bought HRM regularly for years -- but in this issue of HRD it's clear that he has exactly the right vision, not unlike the content in TRJ. I'm a bit concerned that there may not be a successor who has the same clear vision and style.

Last point: check out the outstanding historic spreads from the '59 Oakland Roadster Show (p.8) and '57 Santa Ana drags (p.22); both are perfect summaries of what rodding, customizing, and the drags were about back in the day. Now count the number of primered, rusty, or patina'ed cars in those pictures.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

98 pages for $7 is lame... I picked it up anyway... it's pretty cool, but it's about $5 worth of content...

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I saw it, looked through it at the store, questioned the $6.99 price and took her home. It reads well and the photos were a welcome sight. It looks like it will do well, but ONLY if they keep it like it is. Nice, simple and straight forward. Little by little I can feel a traditional rod looming in my future.

24. williebill

williebill

I picked it up,thumbed through it,liked it,and walked to the cash register to buy it.....And didn't base my buying decision on the cover price..
    Think I got my money's worth...
    My only disappointment was the flathead article is a total reprint from an earlier Hot Rod

25. I bought it, not caring about the price, and loved all of the stories. I am just as big of fan of Traditional Rod and Kulture as everybody else, but let's face it: NOBODY has the amount of archives that HOT ROD Mag owns. You have to remember the kind of sweet talk it took to get this magazine going again. This time around, this will be our choice as to whether or not this fails or succeeds. Let's give it a chance. Our national votes might not matter, but this one sure does.

26. Muttley

Muttley

So was the article on the Dart.

27. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

It's great to see it back. I mean HotRod has an incredble arcive of historic pics. Those pics alone make it worth everypenny. Can't wait to see whats next!

28. Ole don

Ole don

Wally World in Illinois had it. Its done by Primemedia. We will see what Hot Rod has in "left over pile". The flathead article was great, a buddy told me he has it from another magazine, word for word. Neat old pictures though, I like it.

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I looked it over at the bookstore. Left it there. After reading all the rave reviews here, I went back and picked it up again. Looked through it more carefully to see if I had missed something others hadn't. I left it there again. It looks to me like it was hastily thrown together (including "borrowing" articles already done before) to try to get some of the "OSR" market. The potential is there, but it was there the first time around as well. Primedia is gonna have to decide if they really want to publish a quality magazine, or do a couple of half-hearted attempts and quit...again.

30. I liked this issue a lot. I really liked the vette article as my boss has seven of them and says he would never sell me one cause he knows i wouldn't keep it original. It was great to show him the pictures. :)

Plus the girl on the front cover helps when the wife don't wanna be touched at night ;)