Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod building check list??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Yohnk, May 28, 2010.

1. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Does anyone else keep a check list start to finish?? I do mine in microsoft excel......i'm an analytical nerd I know. I brake it down by each system,
    -Front Suspension
    -Rear Suspension
    -Brakes (drums, lines, master cylinder, residual valves)
    -Fuel (tank and lines)
    -Engine/Transmission
    -Body
    -Interior/Wiring
    -Linkages

And of course there is some crossover, and multiple sub-catagories. I also keep a hidden spread sheet of the parts and tools I need to complete each system with prices and where I plan on purchasing the parts.

Is this too much thinking? Especially considering the fact that I've always thought of myself as a three chord rocker rather than a prog "thought" rocker???????

2. 6berry

6berry

i do it as more of a to-do list. sometimes in my head and then when im getting ready to order some parts i write a list down on paper

3. I need a checklist to keep me on track.
    I seem to jump from one bit to another
    and not look like I am getting anywhere.
    I must be, but it sure seems not.
    A complete build list with tick boxes in
    order of progress is what I need.

Damn.
    That sounds nerdy as well......

4. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I thought about putting the whole project in MS Project and then decided that was too much like work.

I do have a written statement of what the project is in order to keep clear what my objectives and make sure I don't make choices that go the wrong direction, but I don't maintain a comprehensive do list. My objectives documents usually identify the specific donor vehicles if I already have parts and I do maintain a google document with a shopping list of things I need that I can access in the shop, my laptop or my phone.

So my compulsion is related but different.

5. You are truly a nerd, but that is ok if it works for you!:)

I am more of a paper and pencil person. I make a list for the day/week etc and cross stuff off as tasks. Some times, the list may have items that get scooted to the next list if I do not get to them. . A spreadsheet? Fuck man, I get to see them at work, no reason in hell I want one for my hobby!

6. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

I made a spreadsheet for parts that's broken up into categories similar to what you listed. I stored it in Google Docs, that way I could access it from anywhere, anytime. If I'm browsing while on my lunch break, and I see a part I'd like to get, I paste a link into the spreadsheet. I can track prices, sources, whether I get an alliance discount, all sorts of stuff. Then I've got a few to do lists I'll work on, try to get a plan for the weekend or whatever. After building some o/t stuff I've found it's the best way to stay organized, especially on a full buildup. I need to know what I need, how much it's going to cost me, and if I find a deal on something...if it's something I even need. I've come across stuff that I forgot I picked up :)

7. mullskull

mullskull

No spread sheets but lists out the wazoo!
    i recently created a "to do" list with what i'm working on at the moment, and what needs to be done in the near future, it really helped, and at the same time was pretty overwhelming!
    I have also been keeping a photo record and a written journal...a few pictures and a page or two gets recorded every time a do some work-
    practical or totally obsessed, perhaps a little of both-

8. I'm a pen and paper guy too, you must have your 'puter in your shop too eh:D

I make my lists in three categories...

Fabrication, things I have to fab

Scrounge, things I can't buy at a store (most of my cars builds require scrounging!)

Buy, things I gotta order or buy. When I first make my list I order the stuff that takes a while to come in.

And on most of my personal builds I'll make a "drive" list or put a "D" beside the things I have to do to just drive it and get it going, then work on the other things while I'm driving it (yeah right eh, like we ever get to em:D)

-Shiny

9. DougHH

DougHH

i'm a pen and paper guy (aswell). i do a few sketches of some possibilities.... sometimes i do a million sketches when its dark out and i cant work on the car. this gives me an idea on the way i need to do things. sometimes i do line drawings of just the chassis and say brake components just to see how much line and brassware i'll need to get at the store the next time i get a chance to go.

i write down a list of parts i need to buy, a list of parts i'd like to buy and a list of jobs i aim to do and pin the lists to the wall and cross em off as i go.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been thinking of giving each project a seperate storage area, or pile.

11. I'm a "list" person, it keeps me focused, and somewhat on schedule.

12. badgeree

badgeree

I started out keeping lists of parts needed,materials to buy etc, along with the costs involved for new stuff. Then I got scared when the $$$signs started multiplying, and tore up the list. Now I just use a white board with jobs to finish.

13. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Forgot to mention........I do a calender of when I want the "tasks" accomplished too......maybe I should talk to my psychologist friend about "OCD"

14. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Perhaps you can post this check list as a template, meaning without your info/prices in there. I'd love to see it.

15. jhogan

jhogan
    from Aptos CA

I wrote mine on the garage wall with a sharpie. What I noticed is that the list had kids and their kids had kids, it's long and now all thats left is interior.

16. I do the wall thing too. When i bring in the steel, I write down 'start'. When it rolls out under it's own power, I write down 'finished'. It's all part of my KISS method.

17. ken1939

ken1939

Because of the computer age, its easier to make your list on a spreadsheet.

I do all my pre-planning, some call it daydreaming, about the whole project. What the build will be, what parts do I need to get, what direction will I take each one etc. Figure out all the small details.

When it comes build time, thats when I can switch over to pencil and paper. Thats usually for that days to do list or what I want to get done that week.

I go back to the computer version to delete lines of tasks or specifics that are done. Keeps my mind in the build.

18. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Lists are good, I made both some on paper, and some computerized. I also made the mistake of keeping a ledger of what I'm spending, and what I've sold. OUCH !!!! Note to all who try this....KEEP OUT OF REACH OF SPOUSE can cause severe headache and ear bleeding. In severe cases sharp pain may be felt in the groin area USE with CAUTION!:D

19. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Notta paper kinda guy, not a spreadsheet kinda guy, I like to see it when I glance at the wall and get great satisfation from crossing off a big item.

I have a "Long term" to do list, a "Short term" to do list, A parts I still need list and all other space is diagrams of stuff that I dont wanna forget (wiring etc)

Attached Files:

20. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I have the following lists:

All the parts and materials I have purchased for my project, where I bought 'em, and the cost.

All the things I can think of that still need to be done.

All the tech spec's, part numbers, sizes, etc, just in case I ever need to replace something.

And finally, a list of stuff that I need to look for at the next swap meet.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who keeps lists.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No to do list but it might keep me on track a lot better if I had one.

I do keep a three ring binder on each project vehicle that has pages for notes and page saver sheets to stick receipts and a photo documentation in along with other info that I might need like bills of sale.
    I've carried those to the vehicle inspector when I take said project in for inspection.
    It solves any "where did you get that" or other questions especially on major parts such as the engine, trans or frame.
    It also works to help remember what the parts I used and what the parts numbers are.
    My wife doesn't give a rip what I spend on projects as long as the bills are paid first so that isn't an issue.

22. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Oh yes, I forgot to mention...A thick file folder full of receipts...Got one of those, too.
    And I've pretty much documented every step so far with digital pictures. Yes, I'm anal. Can't help it.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  23. wolfers

wolfers

I also use a spread sheetet. I only use one spread sheet that has a list what needs to be done, what parts are needed to do it and when I want to complete it. The last item changes a lot as I never seem to hit the completion dates. When an item on the sheet is complete I change the backgroung color to red or yellow so it looks like I used a hi-liter to cross it off.

24. I do the whiteboard thing. Then i do all the harder stuff first so when it gets to the easier stuff it seems like the project goes faster.

25. chevyshack

chevyshack

I keep a list of things i want to do to my cars in the glove box. You know, just incase Overhaulin steals my car to fix up for me. Wishfull thinking, i know.

26. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Chevyshack - Yep, that's a heck of a long shot - But I appreciate your optimism.

27. 65 impala

65 impala

a list is a good thing to have their are just to many things to remember this way you can :D cross things off

28. I'm a big list guy too I have 4 or 5 different lists for each car weather it be a list of work I need to do or a list of parts and prices and I always make sure to keep a list of hours I worked on it and money I spent..really doesn't matter but just kinda nice to have when ya sell a car to know what you need to get out of it to break even

29. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I've got the three ring binder too......and I fill the it with tech articles relative to my build from the HAMB and old magazines.