Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Breakfast & food for thought

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Our club had made plans for a hot rod get together breakfast for this morning and we were going to meet at the local Cracker Barrel at 8 AM, As I was pulling out of the driveway my phone rang and it was Gary and he said he was sitting on the side of the road with a dead battery and ask me to bring jumper cables.

I backed up the old beater sedan and pulled it back in the garage and got in the wagon knowing the battery was easier to get to than the sedan which was under the seat.

It was just one of the minor inconveniences that go along with owning and driving a old car, Gary's old hot rod has been on the road for at least 40 years so things happen,no big deal and we had the car running within minutes.

We proceeded to our destination and met the rest of the guys and I really enjoyed the BS & swapping lies & tall tales with a bunch of old farts.

I got to thinking how nice it is to have friends that share your interest in cars and are always willing to help a friend, on the side of the road or with a project, Gary just turned 80 and while not the oldest member of the club he is the oldest surviving charter member and has helped me far more than I have come to his aid, jumping his car off was a small price to pay.

I consider myself fortunate to be a part of a close nit group of hot rodders here at home and also a worldwide group of like minded friends here on the Hamb. HRP

2. ...cool,...we need pics

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. Sorry, no pictures and I had intended to take some when I got to the Cracker Barrel but I left my camera in the '32 when I swapped cars. HRP

26hotrod, lothiandon1940 and 3W JOHN like this.

4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Missed it again. :(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good friends make the world a better place

6. BJR

BJR

No cell phone with a camera?

3W JOHN, 26hotrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. jim snow

jim snow

Car club is family. Snowman

3W JOHN, deadbeat, 26hotrod and 2 others like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You do seem to be a fortunate guy, I have thought that before, following your threads, tales, travels and adventures;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. Correct, it's old school. HRP

clem, BJR, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I agree that having a great group of close car friends is one of the best parts of the hobby.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get ur biscuits n gravy?

12. You bet I did, I don't miss many meals, especially with good friends. HRP

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bottom line - do not take these friendships, interaction between other like minded car nuts here, etc for granted - so much happens because of the stars aligning, or whatever - being in the right place at the right time - sometimes you have to make things happen - sometimes it falls right into your lap - absorb the experience of the day, and what goes with it

383deuce, John Starr, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good for you! I wish I had car friends like that.

15. There is no doubt in my mind, sometimes we are in the right place at the right time and I was fortunate to fall in with the right bunch of guys.

The cars brought us together but after more than 40 years we are like family.

Actually, that's profound. :) HRP

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  16. Even my flip phone takes pictures, I think!:p Should have at least gotten a picture of breakfast.:rolleyes: Good Thread friend.:cool:

17. deadbeat

deadbeat

What exactly is biscuits and gravy? Just asking for a friend,,,,,

18. Great story, Danny. I've often said that sure it's about the cars, but it's really about the people. Your post makes that imminently clear.

19. mbailey99gt

mbailey99gt

Great story/post, as usual @HOTRODPRIMER

I actually have distant family in Anderson....last name Bailey.

My grandfather worked at the Mill years ago.
    My dad left the area in the early 50s...he was a Ford man till the day he died...

Not sure who from the family may still be in the area, good to see your posts...always!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

20. cooked ground sausage simmered in butter, milk and flour, over a biscuit.

21. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

The "Grandpa's breakfast" is a must try!

22. The people are what make the hobby special. Without them, it's just a bunch of old cars. This becomes more apparent each time we lose an elderly club member.

23. I agree, you are fortunate to have good friends who are also car guys near you. I am sure the comradeship and occasional help is great.

But one thing I take away from your post is that you had to swap vehicles to give a jump.
    That is one reason I am a guy who wants to build his car with the battery, wiring, brake cylinder and other maintenance items in easy to reach places like the firewall. Clean firewalls with no wiring or master cylinder look nice for show cars but if you drive them, those things should be easily accessible in my opinion.

24. Seeing that you are in New Zealand I can imagine what was going through your head, In your country a biscuit is a cookie but here in the state, especially in the South a biscuit is a small round cake of bread made with baking powder, baking soda, salt & buttermilk, a Southern breakfast staple and Ted explained gravy. HRP

John Starr, 3W JOHN, deadbeat and 2 others like this.
  25. Don,you saw my deuce sedan when you were here, I built that car many years ago and hanging a battery on the firewall wasn't even a consideration and it was installed under the floor behind the front seat, It's not the easiest thing to access but at the time I used the monkey see, monkey do common way of hiding the battery. :D HRP

3W JOHN and 26hotrod like this.
  26. ..........It's kinda like country ham on a biscuit. Until they get an opportunity to experience either one, they just can't imagine what heaven is really like.....Yumm!:D

27. X-cpe

X-cpe

Its funny what a short time ago 'old school' was cutting edge technology.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The biscuit must be split first before putting on the gravy. Fresh biscuits are a must and some put butter on them. I've even seen strawberry jam too but only twice.
    2 day old "ricochet" biscuits must not be used ....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  29. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Was Gary in his coupe or that bad ass maverick?

26hotrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.