Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot rod ashtrays....see what I just found....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Dodger, May 25, 2018.

1. Went downtown to an antique mall this morning thinking I would pick up some more Lesney/Matchbox toys I saw at one guy's booth. I had gotten some from him already and wanted more. NOPE! All gone. Damn. Should have bought them all at such a good price. I did see THIS, though. At first I thought it was someone's ashtray project. THEN I turned it over and found the "NEWCOMB, INC. ROSELLE, N.J." on the bottom in the glazing! WHAT?? I had no idea this existed. Newcomb usually made vases and plates and stuff like that. This was a GREAT discovery for me. Turns out it is quite rare and I paid the same price that I was prepared to spend on the L/M toy cars. It even has big & littles on it. SCORE! I LOVE THIS THING! Picture 10210.jpg Picture 10212.jpg Picture 10211.jpg Picture 10216.jpg Picture 10215.jpg Picture 10213.jpg Picture 10214.jpg

2. dwollam

dwollam

That's pretty cool John!

Dave

31Dodger likes this.
  3. I agree. I was only able to find a couple of others and it said they are from the 1940's.

4. Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm certainly no expert on pottery, but I do like Antique Road Show and I recall "Rosedale" & "Newcombe" (not sure of spellings) pottery being collectible and some vases bringing stupid money. Might want to check it out..

31Dodger and F&J like this.
  6. I have a couple of these and I agree they are from the 40's and are quite rare as you said.

One of mine was a souvenir from the national Soap Box Derby in Akron and has no makers mark, but looks to be the same Newcomb mold.

I don't believe DSCF1577 (Copy).JPG they would give out ashtrays as souvenirs today.

you made a great find.

Mick

302GMC, catdad49 and 31Dodger like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Too Kool!

31Dodger likes this.
  8. That thing is smokin' hot!

lurker mick and 31Dodger like this.