Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hosing out a gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Took out my gas tank. It has some small rocks and grit left inside.

If I use some paint thinner to clean it out, the flush it with a garden hose, do I need to put something in to clean out the water? I don't want it to rust while it sits waiting for me to finish the project.

2. billthx138

billthx138

Load it up with WD40, it displaces water and coats with the oil. That should get you by.

3. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

1 qt Alcohol, absorbs the water, then drain the alcohol and let air dry in the sun. 1 qt kerosene, slosh to coat the tank after drying and then drain out excess, air dry. Seal with gas cap for storage.

4. duc76

duc76
    from OKC, OK

If your tank is metal you can use methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), or acetone to do your final rinse. But do not use these in or on plastic tanks, and do not get them on anything rubber.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have just used diesel fuel and rinsed it. It leaves enough oil not to let it rust or corrode.

6. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea both of the above methods posted work well, i have used WD40 and worked fine. Hey if you tank has any pitting in the metal or questionable areas, or repair work done i would coat the inside with Red Kote. I always use this when i have done a gas tank repair, and i use it on all the chopper gas tanks that i have modified or built. THe stuff works excellent, just a little piece of mind especially on an original tank.

7. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

use chain to swish around to break crap loose, that way no pieces or parts left behind. mix 50/50 ATF (used OK) with kerosene or diesel (2 qts per 15 gallons seems to be good measure) shake, swish/whatever to coat all inside surfaces. When ready for use douche with gasoline or paint thinner.

8. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Make a video of you "swishing" 15 and a half gallons around.:D

9. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Sun? Where ya get one of them? i thought those were discontinued!

10. They're out there. You may have to travel to find 'em if you're not finding 'em locally.

11. chubbie

chubbie

Hey you old fart!!
    I did the chain thing,something to think about, the chain tyed its self in to a BIG old knot. what a bitch to get out!!!!!!

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

guys have told me to take it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned,so I called my radiator man the other day and he said bring it in and it would be around 40 bucks.

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

only you could have done that! <grin>

14. I got all the tank work done...and I'm still alive.

Flushed out the grit and let it dry in the sun for a bit. Could see fumes coming out too. Then put some wd40 to caot it.

I was able to drill holes for my new sender and nothing blew up.

Thanks for the help.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I cleaned mine out with a handful of small hardened steel bolts (about 3/8 x 1 1/5) and a strong solution of washing soda (also known as sodium carbonate or soda ash) in water. The stuff that came out looked like strong coffee. I finished with a pressure washer rinse and dryed it with an air gun and sunshine.

16. with the sending unit pulled, I fire up the pressure washer and stick the nozzle inside and wave around til it is clean. prop it up so the fill or sending unit hole is a drain and the other is where you stick your wand....flushes all teh rap out at the same time, then do your preserving...Hans