Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hose Clamping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Sep 6, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

On my hot rods I have always used the regular band type, worm drive clamps. I have always hated those clamps. They work, but they look like shit. I was just watching a demonstration of a tool called ClampTite on TV. It uses wire pulled tight around your hose. Looks pretty slick. I looked 'em up. Pretty good price. Have any of you guys used these? My concern is that the wire could cut the rubber hose? Looks good on the demo's though.
    Another thing that caught my eye while looking up Clamptite. There is a heat shrink hose clamp available. That really looks good, but I am skeptical about that one.
    How do you guys clamp your hoses?

loudbang likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have used the heat shrink tubing before with no problems.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and jaw22w like this.
  3. I have had the heat shrink on a Ford 347 for 5 years with no problems.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. CME1

CME1

I have used the heat shrink hose clamps on several Hot Rods and old cars with no problems. They work great and look great.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

I use the band type, worm drive clamps but with thumb screws. I get them from Mcmaster-Carr

[​IMG]

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make your own, that's what I did. Here's a link to one similar to mine.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks for this, @LAROKE. I thought all the sources for these had dried up!
    They belong on flatheads with 3 and 4 carburetor intakes....

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I like using crimp band clamps for a cleaner look
    [​IMG]

loudbang, Truckdoctor Andy and jaw22w like this.
  9. I use the generic run of the mill hose clamps, they work fine for me and I like them much better that the OEM type. HRP

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I am back to these, forgot the name, also like the thumb screw type.
    DSCF0417.JPG DSCF0418.JPG DSCF0419.JPG

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's great! I love homemade tools. I just happen to have all those bits in the shop. Going to build one this afternoon. Thanks.

The shrink tube clamps are really the best looking. In my case, I always seem to be taking things apart. At about $5 a piece, they could get expensive quick. I would have to keep a stock of sizes on hand. I'm gonna try the home made clamptite. I got lots of wire.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I recently used a tip that was posted on a thread here on the HAMB. Used 1/2" heat shrink [the flat ones] over the band of the worm style clamps, turned the screw end behind the hose. Turned out pretty well and I can reuse and adjust them. I like it.

loudbang, Tim, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  13. Droopydogg

Droopydogg

I recently purchased the Clamptite tool and really like it except for its size. I was able to stop a reoccurring power steering hose leak and used it to secure the inner tie rod boot on my OT pickup. Then I made my own smaller version for tight areas....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Boneyard51 and jaw22w like this.
  14. aircraft wire looks cool
    aircraft wirw clamp.jpg

15. evintho

evintho

I get my hose clamps at Pick-N-Pull for pennies. Stroll over to the BMW/Mercedes section. They have 'em from 1/4" up to 4" in diameter (only in millimeters). Cheap parts store clamps have stamped slots, sharp edges and are way too fat!
    The import clamps have louvered slots, beaded and rolled edges are half as wide and twice as strong! You can torque on these to your hearts content. I think they look pretty good, too!

The fuel injection clamps posted by 'brigrat' are very strong and work well on pressurized lines. The thumbscrew style I don't really care for. I think they look kinda cheap. Just my opinion, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang, tb33anda3rd, Tim and 3 others like this.
  16. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A lot of the hose clamps commonly used are junk.
    The holes in the bands will cut through the hose and I really don't like the wires or the shrink tube clamps because they will cause the hose to be damaged or destroyed if for some reason you need to remove them.

I went to my local industrial hose supplier (Greenline) and got some nice Stainless steel gear style clamps that have no holes in them.
    https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_156779231269110&key=3ddbb42d66675f20d3a5103dae5d4319&libId=k08f25hq010025g1000DLb4c9zxel&loc=https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-pick-up-build-thread.460009/page-60#post-12722402&v=1&out=http://www.normaamericasds.com/brand/aba&ref=https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/199326488/?q=hose+clamps&o=relevance&c[node]=5&c[user][0]=105140&title=Projects - 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread | Page 60 | The H.A.M.B.&txt=http://www.normaamericasds.com/brand/aba

0BA8B9F1-CE53-4269-9DD2-DB170525DC7F.jpeg B20AE97A-53FD-4B86-8819-FC3001040F8F.jpeg B54149D7-1816-4649-B673-BB76A0CF453B.jpeg

18. 5window

5window

Got a picture?

loudbang likes this.
  19. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Made my own version, mostly inspired by the haywire klamper (check it at Youtube if you want a demo). Does the job, not perfect but for the tools and materials required to make it I'm satisfied.

upload_2019-9-6_20-30-55.png

loudbang and Cosmo50 like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

I saw a post recently on another thread where someone took some black shrink tubing and covered most of the stainless band on a typical worm gear clamp to knock the shine off. Don't remember where it was, but it looked really good!

21. 34Phil

34Phil

I buy T bolt clamps from the local hydraulic hose [​IMG] supply house.

loudbang, bct, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  22. 5window

5window

Those are nice.

loudbang likes this.
  23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Well I said I would. I made this this afternoon. I slimmed up the design from the video. I have tried a few practice clamps. It took me a little longer than the demo lady, but it works really good. Thanks for the tip, Ebbsspeed. Saved me some $$$. IMG_0526.JPG

24. I use BreezeCorp AeroSeal stainless band clamps...they polish up nicely, and work well and USA made ;) Breeze Corp AeroSeal.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. A buddy of mine bought one at a show and paid big bucks for it. It turned out to be one of those things you have to have, but never use. It wound up in the forbidden drawer in his tool box.

I think it's way too complicated, plus you can't remove and replace in a emergency. Yes, it cuts the hose easily. Reminds me of bailing wire and pliers when you're done!

SS worm gear hose clamps for me. ;)

loudbang and brigrat like this.
  26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I like the clamps that "Blue One" pointed out. Smooth inside and the unlike the tooth holes in typical clamps, don't mess up the rubber. Easy on and easy off unlike the make your own wire type.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

loudbang likes this.
  28. Me too! Used them then, and use them now.

loudbang likes this.
  29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, no tail to cut off!
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Me too. Simple, easy to find and use. They don't cut the hose up unless you overtighten them, unlike the wire type which will dig in. Had a truck that had the heat shrink type on it, had to replace a water pump and wanted to reuse the hose, like to have never got the stupid clamp cut off without damaging the hose. I'll stick to my worm gear clamps, they may not be as fancy as some others, but they get the job done....

loudbang and Montana1 like this.