Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hopefully people can learn from my mistakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wesleyoldham, Feb 6, 2017.

1. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Truly sorry about your loss. Thank you for the wake up call. I will keep a good thought for you and your family.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  2. Thanks for sharing, tough to go through, wishing you both the best!

wesleyoldham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. sorry for your loss. I will take the info here and apply it to my shop. you have given us all a good wake up call. im always cautious about welding or grinding before I close the shop for the night. I wont do that kind of work unless I have a few hours to be in the shop to keep an eye on things. for those that have a simple safe alarm system they have sensors for fire detection. if its triggered the fire dept is automatically called. its very cheap insurance.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

So sad , just be thankful no one was hurt . I know it sounds bad , but your stuff can be replaced maybe not the same stuff , but there are replacements . Live can not be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wesleyoldham likes this.
  5. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Sorry for the loss. You can always rebuild, hope all turns out well for you and family.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No amount of money can replace a life, thank goodness no one was injured or worse! I can't imagine how you both feel loosing everything that you worked for. A valuable lesson by us all in how quickly things can turn. You pay insurance in the hope that you never have to use it and when you do, you thank the fact that you did have it.

7. I had worked in a shop that went up in flames many years ago. There was a car left overnight inside and it had a fuel line leak that nobody caught before hand. This is what the fire marshall came up with. The owner comes in, flips on the shop lights and it went up. He was blown out the door but unharmed. The whole shop was a complete loss by the time I rolled up.

As a result I have always had high regard for gasoline around the garage. Anything done with a gas tank happens outside, tanks stay outside until I get rid of them or install them.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  8. belair

belair

Be glad you're not dead or in the burn ward. Fire (as you well know) moves fast and doesn't care. Glad you're all ok.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  9. That is heartbreaking in every way. You guys are lucky you were not hurt or killed. Fire is like a living thing, it grows, it eats, and it hates.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  10. CamSweet

CamSweet

My Reznor sits up about 15' off the floor with the standing pilot light running. When I do something like spraying a little paint, or moving a little gas... I turn the furnace off, but.... I should convert it over to pilotless ignition...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wesleyoldham likes this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Sorry for your loss Wes.Fire sucks.BTDT.Our house burned in 88.Explosive power of gas fumes is crazy.IIRC,fumes from one quart of gas has the explosive power of 15 sticks of dynamite.
    Leo

wesleyoldham and C. John Stutzer like this.
  12. That's just so..........
    You have all my compassion.

We have a store in downtown Lapeer MI. When it burned - cannot describe the depression. Total loss, move, rebuild inventory. Never the same.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    wesleyoldham likes this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Sorry for loss of your garage/contents. It's only stuff , your well being trumps stuff Everytime, reading your story, remembering back, my Dad always used gasoline for parts cleaning and I did also when young, Fortunately, no fires/problems, Lucky again. Back in late 60's A friend was at a barbeque and house owner was walking w/ gallon gas can, 30' from grill and it blew up in his hand, he's on fire, ran into house/basement, guys ran in basement, put him out, he was a mess, survived, but horribly scared. So..... I'm thinking, Thank your Gaurdian Angel as you are OK. I've Thanked mine Many Times.

C. John Stutzer and wesleyoldham like this.
  14. I had worked in 3 places that burned to the ground... try putting those for reasons you've left previous jobs on applications...

The first was a factory I worked at, a pair of Quonset hut type buildings and huge. They did sheet metal fab and painting, supposedly some paint rags were the cause. I learned something there. The 2nd was an automotive shop that the owner torched, he owed everyone in town $$ including me. The 3rd was the one I mentioned up the thread.

It was very frightening to see as a young person, luckily nobody was hurt in any of the incidents.

wesleyoldham likes this.
  15. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Sorry for the loss, but glad you guys are OK...

wesleyoldham likes this.
  16. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

Started going through the contents in the back of the shop today with the adjustor and got all of the items in the back listed. Going to start on the front in the morning but cant do too much until the investigator comes. Its moving along at least

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  17. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Man, I'm glad you guys are okay. It's a wake up call for me. Sometimes I let my guard down and this gets me focused again.

18. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

wesleyoldham likes this.