Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hop Up Part Barn Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jax2A, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jax2A

Jax2A

The roof of my dad's barn caved in from snow weight this year and we're still sorting through the mess and rebuilding. Got it back under roof this week but his 63 Vette roadster and 66 Bonneville convert didn't fair well, still have to deal with that.

But while working on the roof this week I found this in one of his work benches and wondered if anyone else has seen one. It says "MINI SUPERCHARGER" on it and he ran it on his 47 Plymouth coupe. I thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share even though I doubt it added any ponies to the coupe.

Attached Files:

2. snap daddy

snap daddy
    from Omaha, NE

Pick up any car mag from the early to mid 60's with a JC Whitney ad in it...they're full of those! To me, it looks like the forerunner of today's batch of "air intake enhancers".

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

That's gotta be good for at least 15 psi of boost!

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Got a '62 JCW catalog right here...essential office reference!
    Full page of blather on this thing; your single barrel (there were also 2 and 2 barrel ones) cost $9.95. Yours is missing the "automatic air breather", a metal lump which I guess contains a fuzz filter and maybe a needle valve at the end of a rubber hose. This "mixes an increased volume of air blah blah blah" from its advanced vacuum leak. Result is a TREMENDOUS NEW BURST OF MONEY-SAVING POWER. Rotor handles the SUPER-ATOMIZE function.

5. Jax2A

Jax2A

Thanks for the info, yea he said it came from Whitney's and he graduated high school in 63' so the 62' catalog is right on the money. He told me about the filter thing too, said he thought it was some where in the barn mess too.

I know it's not power booster as claimed but I still thought it was a cool piece of hot rod history, even cooler to me since it came off my old man's high school ride.

6. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

7. Labold

Labold

I know it doesn't add any hp but I still think it's cool. Even if it basically is just a dust collector in the shop.

Lots of high school kids added on parts like this (and basically still do) cause they were relatively cheap and easy to install.