Register now to get rid of these ads!

hooking up tachometer question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Jan 24, 2004.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

im going to hook a tach on my comet today, im pretty sure i know were all the wires go but im not positive, the tach has 4 wres coming out of it. red,black,green,white. The red one i hook to a power source, the black one is a ground, the green one im not sure about, i hook up to the positive side of the coil?? and the white one is for the light in the tach. My question is do i have the wires right? what is a good power source to hook to under the dash? Thanks nate

2. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

the tach doesnt have a shift light or anything, its a plain pro tach. thanks Nate

3. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

yep, you got 'em right... Black = ground, red = hot, white = light, green = actual tach wire to coil.

4. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

kool thanks nate

5. Mutt

Mutt

Nate - Hook up the 12v line to switched power that is only on when the ignition switch is in the run position.

Dan

6. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Hook up the green wire to the negative "-" side of the coil, otherwise the tach won't have a signal.

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I think you want the negative side of the coil, not the positive. If it matters. That is where mine is.

8. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

yeah, it is the negative, i hooked it up to the positive and it didnt work, no wonder why!!! thanks nate