Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hoodless in the Rain?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Nov 20, 2010.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'm wanting to build a hoodless/fenderless Model A coupe as a true daily. That means driven in the rain 5-6 months a year. I'm thinking I'm going to have problems with keeping the ignition system dry. Is this generally a problem?

Devin

2. ...yeah, and what about open carbs when you're drivin?

3. Proper preporation and attention to details are key. A sloppy built hot rod is just that, and the rain will bring out the faults. We here in the " Sunshine State " drive in ruthless rain storms at times. Think of motorcycles too, race cars that run in rain. Dieelectric grease, shrink tubing, good set of ignition wires and boots, and a ton of other tools are available to keep your hoodless ride rollin in the rain. BDM

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Put a (1/2) hood on, when it rains, take it off when it's dry, i get more spray from the wheels than anything,

I run a full hood on my fenderless car and 1/2 hood on FF one..

NOT my car just an example from the HAMB,,,,,,,,,,,

[​IMG]

my 2c

5. fat tire

fat tire

I have to agree. I drive my 29 to work on occasion which is 35miles one way. I have gotten caught in plenty of nasty Colorado thunderstorms and never had any problems however to his point prep to details is key :D . I would have to say the biggest concern (for me at least) is when it rains hard enough my skinny bias ply's are no friend to the road and it can be a little scary :eek:

6. chubbie

chubbie

I was in a down pour 1,000 miles from home and the 'ol model A quit on me at a at a stop lite on a 4 lane road! we had to push it up hill in traffic. a nice guy in a mini van rolled up behind us and helped. every thing was tight , but it seems condensation was the problem. just used a rag in the distributer cap and away we went! I talked to a mechanic friend of mine, he said to use the little packs of moisture obsorbent that you get in electrical parts. It hasn't raind that hard here and maybe never will, but it hasn't happened again.