Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hood Ornament ID Please...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Mar 21, 2014.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A buddy of mine found this ornament and I've looked thru all those hood ornaments posted on here a ways back with no luck in ID'ing it.

Does anybody know what it is from???:confused:

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Man, have we looked at some hood ornaments trying to solve this riddle.
    Like you say some look close but just ain't right.
    Somebody said it could belong to an English Ford or foreign delivered vehicle from the US.
    So far we are still scratching our heads for now...

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were hundreds of aftermarket hood ornaments that were offered. This one is more than likely one of them.

5. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

6. Due to the lack of sharp detail one can assume it's not a piece from the gilded era,so in my opinion it's after market.

Don't rule out the idea that it's possibly not a hood ornament but rather a trophy topper. HRP

[​IMG]

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Tag Man is correct, there were many aftermarket hood ornaments made for various cars over the years. I started a collection for my 1946 Ford and have seven. Some look like the Packard "winged goddess" with two different styles and four different colors and one that looks very much like the Buick "torpedo", and a couple of others. They were produced to make Fords and Chevys to look like more expensive makes. The one you came across is very cool, I have never seen it before, nice find!!

8. Google "Rocket man hood ornament" and get many answers stating that yours is an aftermarket hood ornament.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cars had hood ornaments like that in the early 30's, but that character looks more like a 50's space man to me. plus most if not all of the factory ones were ladies not men. which makes me think it is aftermarket

10. It is an aftermarket accessory for a car from the 1930s

11. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

It's "The Rocketeer"!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If it mounts with a single stud, that tilts the thinking towards aftermarket. Most OEM would be an integrated part of a radiator cap or a chrome strip of some sort. And as a codicil to that, most OEM ornaments that people liked (Lincoln/Ford greyhound, several Packard ones etc.) were reproduced with generic mounting provisions and filled whole pages in JC Whitney and Western Auto type catalogs.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Good to know all the information offered and it sure sounds like it is after market then.
    I'll let my buddy know, I am sure he will be pleased to know more aout it now.
    Thanks to everybody who posted.