Register now to get rid of these ads!

hood on an a-v8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetmek, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jetmek

jetmek

32 frame and radiator, 30-31 body. does any know if there is a ready made hood for this combo? will the rad need a 1" chop?

2. The profile at the front of the hoods on both the 30-31 and 32 are the same. Lengths are different...31" on the A and 32" on the '32.
    You may have shot yourself in the foot by buying the '32 radiator. '32 shell & radiator is a bit taller, but most folks use the model A radiator and trim the bottom sides of the shell to allow it to slide down.

3. jetmek

jetmek

thanks i havent bought any parts yet...still in the planning stages

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

30 years ago we built a 28 on Deuce rails using the stock 28 shell. We called Rootlieb and they made us a 4 pc hood to fit. We gave them the new length and they made us a new hood with sides that were deeper than a stock 28 hood to make up for the stock A hood shelves that were not used on the Deuce frame. I don't know if they do custom work anymore but they amazed me by making a custom hood from 3000 miles away using only a few dimensions. We ended up with a 28 Highboy with a working 4 pc hood just like a stocker. Most people bolt on the sides but my buddy wanted a normal Ford style working hood.

5. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

looking for more leg room?? This sounds like A cool ride already. Is it A roadster?? Jared

6. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Here is a pic of one we just finished (but the before picture). 31 body and frame with an original 32 shell and rad with a 31 hood. There was no trimming for it to fit. I am not sure using a 32 frame
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. jetmek

jetmek

nah...im lookin for work (aviation aint so hot now) so i struck up deal to build a tudor a-v8 for a guy across the pond...BTW keep me in mind if ya need any flathead work....al

8. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Al I used a rootlieb hood on my coupe, 32 shell/rad to 31 cowl. fit perfect

9. jetmek

jetmek

dont know why i didnt ask you in the first place! so th kick up in the front of the frame doesnt make the rad too tall in relation to the cowl? that would make it too easy!