Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hood not flush, need help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Mix, May 26, 2012.

1. Mr.Mix

Mr.Mix
    from Vermont

My 63' Rambler has a bit of a gap in the hood
    [​IMG]
    I am stumped as to what I can do to fix this and it is driving me crazy. Here is a picture under the hood as well to get an idea of what i'm working with.
    [​IMG]
    Any help I can get to aligning the hood with the body would be greatly appreciated!

2. that hood looks bent, it must have been sticky, and when it was closed it bent. judging by that i would bet the hinge is bent also. is the upper bolt on the hinge to firewall slotted?

3. I know this sounds crazy, but put a shim (couple or 3 washers) between the hood and the hinge on the front hood bolt. Not the rear one. It allows the hinge to go lower in relation to the body, and this will sometimes bring the back down.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. Also wd40 the snot out of it, probaly binding up , had the same problem on a chevelle

5. Mr.Mix

Mr.Mix
    from Vermont

tb33anda3rd No it is not slotted. It came with the gap when I bought it, along with a freshly beaten windshield via baseball bat (another story).

Chaz and the_man, good suggestions I will give it a shot with the WD40 and the shims thanks.

6. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

first ... open the hood a gently push up (when the hood stops while open) this will straighten the kink in it , dont go pushing up too hard you will bend it the other way..

second once you have a straight edge ie no bend.. loosen the front bolt on the inner fender, then the bolt at the firewall , you should be able to push down the front of the hinge at the inner guard, tighten the front hinge bolt, then tighten the firewall bolt , ..
    close the hood and see how it fits .

try not to let the hood slide forward , or backward , you only need the front of the hinge on the inner fender to go straight down..

you may need to go through this process a couple of times to get the hood even with the fender,,
    unless the bolts a seized it should probably take less time to do , than it does to read this --
    hope that helps