Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hood Louvers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dasheot, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Hey guys,
    I recentlly purchased a 50 Chevy 3100 that is a running project. I decided to go old school with the build. I want to louver the hood. Does anybody do or know a good place in the Georgia area to get this done? I have been reading archived threads , found a few leads from 2009 and I have made calls on those leads but not word yet. How knows the shops could no longer be in biz, so I thought id throw this out there in hopes someone will say they read my post and has a guy or better yet they are the guy.
    Thanks everybody

Attached Files:

brEad, Terrible80 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys do all mine. Up by Charlotte, well worth the drive.

McNeils Body Shop.
    1909 W Roosevelt Blvd, Monroe, NC 28110
    (704) 238-9920

[​IMG]

-Abone.

3. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I need to get my 1939 Ford hood punched - live near Concord, NC - close drive. How much per louver?

Thanks.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark in Japan and loudbang like this.

5. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  6. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

hey I will be wanting my hudsons hood louvered as well at some point.
    Was once told there is a risk of warpage etc as its done as the metal gets stretched.
    true/false?

Stogy likes this.
  7. J Ed Horton punches the old school louvers,he is in Belton,S.C. HRP

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are many stories of work involved in prepping after louvering has been done most of it not praising the experience. I suppose some distortion is possible which raises the point that you best leave your pristine hood to an experienced Louver Smith. Even then just as most finishing of vintage bodies some filler/skimming of the surface may be just a regular part of operations.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Another vote for McNeil's Body Shop. I had some louvers punched by them and was very happy with the results.

Stogy and MIKE STEWART like this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

I'm also looking for someone to louver my 50 shoebox around the Atlanta metro area.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  11. robracer1

robracer1

^^^^^ found a Shop in Douglasville GA named Bright Star

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't help you with louvers in Georgia but I can offer some advice. If you are paying someone else to sand and paint your new louvers it will be costly. Second, I did my own and my fingers were sore for weeks.

I'm not sure I would do that again.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had mine metal stripped before we carried it to the louver shop. The guy at the metal stripping shop was the one who suggested the louver shop.
    Hood has to be clean bare metal inside and out where you want the louvers punched with no pookie or dings.
    As far as warpage I'd say that might come from getting carried away and putting the louvers too close to the curves on the hood. I've seen one AD truck where they punched the louvers out too far to get "more" and you could see a few wowies in the hood. Mine has 120 . Have to excuse the "patina", the truck has been sitting and waiting it's turn for a full redo. 48 hood showing louvers.jpg

14. Dasheot

Dasheot
    from Georgia

I dig it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did something a little different on my Suburban hood, not easily seen in photo but the center rows are inverted and the outer banks are conventional.
    The louver guy said he had never done a hood this big before, he built a cradle and used a laser also.

20160802_110027.jpg

Tim likes this.
  16. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Laser to do the initial cuts or to lineup/markout?

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Alignment, sure wish I could have watched this whole process, this was his side job done at night and I got the feeling he didn't want distractions, they turned out perfect.