Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods hood hinge spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian thomas, May 31, 2016.

1. I picked up a set of NOS gm hood hinges . They did not come with the springs on them . Anyone have any thoughts on how to change the springs over ?
    The car they are for is to new to mention here .
    I figured if anyone would have a way to instal those springs , they would be on this forum

2. FANTM58

FANTM58

ive seen guys open the hood then insert paint sticks ETC or what ever into the spring.
    then that holds it open, so when you close the hood the spring stays expanded and it easily removed.

brian thomas likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Google is your friend

brian thomas likes this.
  4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have used large washers in between the spring coils to a similar action in the video. Joe

brian thomas likes this.

5. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Opened the springs with a floor Jack. One end on the plate one on the axle. Did this for a 54 Chevy. Used the washers welde into half of a piece of exhaust pipe.

6. Or get a pocket full of change. Open hood, insert coins between spring coils, partially close hood until you can unhook the spring. Reverse for installation.