Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest 32-5w Barn find what's is worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patina steve, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Justin B

Justin B

but if 25 was such a great deal don't you think one of the big name guys out there would have jumped on it right away, there's plenty of guys who run at the lakes who would make the call to either buy it or call a friend or customer. i do think 25 was a good price on it but it wasn't a screaming deal, that's why simard got the call instead of buying it myself or the buddy i was with buying it. at 20k the car probably would have sold before the guy got out of his truck, sure it might have shown up for sale at the next roadster show or on ebay for 30k. just comparing apples to apples, the one patina steve posted is way high compared to alot of stuff out there, sure someone might pay 30 for it if they have to have one right now and that's fine, and if they hold onto it untouched for 20 years it might be worth 50 but i won't be emptying my bank account anytime soon to buy it.
    i guess i just enjoy the search more than just opening my wallet, actually i probably spend more time digging through garages, yards, attics, etc than i do going to car shows. finding stuff for a deal is great but getting to hear some good stories or having a 90 year old dig out his lakes/drag/show/build pictures that knowones seen in 60 years makes for an amazing day.

2. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

I am starting to feel really good about what I paid for my 5 windows. When you factor in all the metal work, patch panels, title costs.......it starts to add up. I learned long ago to shop for the best body you can find and jump on that versus rebuilding a heap. Then again the real journey is in the build.

3. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

It"s not a roadster or a three window. Add it up !!!!

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well ... Dave Simard is a BIG NAME ... he knows 32's as well or better than most and he is NOT on the west coast.
    So shipping was a added expense. :D :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

How much would you spend on it to make it the way you want ? 20 K -25 k ?

6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Damn steve....We are damn near twins...LOL

Attached Files:

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

tennis anyone?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Never2low

Never2low

I'm stealing that line, HA!:D
    20k is a good buy, 25k is a fair price, and 30k is retail, which is why I'll never own one. A's are fine for me, until they get driven out of my price range, which won't take much:eek:.

9. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

Just buy it and tell us how much you paid then we'll have the answer to how much it's worth:)

10. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

This guy found one for $1,500 ... I bet you can find one in your price range too - it may take a LONG time and you'll end up chasing dead leads and looking at deuce coupes that are actually 36 Plymouth 4-doors, but it happens from time to time.

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

He was having fun with you on the whole $1,500.00 thing...For the people to keep this car as long as it has been kept they knew what they had.....

12. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

No he's not - I know the guy that found it ... quite a story.

13. i give you permission...i think i stole it from 3 window larry lol
    tk

14. Oh my god!!!! Someone actually wrote what they paid for their car on this site!!! I'm amazed at how people are so secretive about what they paid. Its like its taboo to mention prices. Whats the big deal. It actually helps others to know what the going prices are. When someone picks up a barn find or just a cool car in general, most people are curious at what they paid for it just as a reference. Some even (heaven forbid) ask the question "What did you pay for it?" and then theres all the posters that say its wrong to ask.
    My neighbor asks me to come over and check out this great deal he got on an industrial sand blaster and so I came up and looked at it. Really nice . All he did was keep telling me what a great deal it was. Then asked what I thought it was worth. I shot out a number and he said it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. So then I asked " Well what did you pay for it?" He shot out, " I really don't like talking prices". Asshole!!

15. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Ditto!!!

16. Thats exactly what I just did. One of my favorite cars is a 1936 Ford. I found a totally rust free 1936 5 Window that needs a bit of love but hey don't they all. Anyway, all the hard work has been done to it, it still needs an interior but hey, finding a car that has only seen the light of day twice since at least the late 50s early 60s and that was just going from a garage to another garage. I figured that I won't find another car like this. I paid $17,000 which I think is a fair price and after looking at other 1936s out there, there are a few cheaper and a few more expensive. Mine has NO RUST. Not even where the paint is chipped. If it's what you want, get it as you only live once and if you sit on the fence too long, someone else will buy it. Then you will be saying the rest of your life, " I should have bought that car"!!!

17. $25,000 is about right. Right here on the HAMB a while back a guy sold a really nice, shiny paint, 5W body that needed no work for the $25,000. Had doors and deck lid, but nothing else - no hood, fenders, frame, or interior (think it had the garnishes and dash tho).

And the lack of title is utterly no concern in multiple states, if your state is a dick about no-titles, that's your problem.

18. Never2low

Never2low

HA! We'll call it a hand me down just to stay on Larry's good side.:D

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds great Randy!!!---We goin' to the same Mexican place?

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

and I stole it from Dave Simard when I asked him if I paid too much for my 3w.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. And, you jackass, quite a few states don't use titles and some make it extremely easy to put a car on the road that has no paperwork. Even some of the ones that still use titles it's not that bad, maybe the police or DMV has to inspect the serial number on the car so it can be used as a VIN. I can walk into my DMV with the right set of forms and get plates ON THE SPOT and they never look at the car - and could care less if I have a title for it because they don't use them. So like I said before, if you live in a state that's asinine about it - that's your problem. I guess when you can't even spell "vehicle" properly, it must just be easier to go online and try to start a pissing match than it is to research a little and actually have a clue what the hell you're talking about.

But then when you have $25,000 to $30,000 to drop on a project vehicle, having or not having a title doesn't mean shit, because even $2000 to get it legal really is nothing when you're talking having $65,000 and up in the finished car.

22. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I tell anyone who ask what I paid for my cars, As they are not for sale anyhow....However just because I say they are not forsale does not mean I won't sell...As I have had a few guys just keep on pileing on hundred dollar bills until I just could not say no any longer..LOL....I will even tell someone what I payed for a car I am selling, As what I payed does not matter, What I want is what matters. It does not matter If I payed $10,000.00 or was payed to haul it off...either pay my asking price or find one elsewhere....that is just how I look at it anyhow. I have had guys tell me I payed way too much for some of my cars....I just tell them I spent my money Not theirs!...My kids got everything in the world, my wife is happy, and we have food in the fridge....So I guess I can pay too much If I want to...LOL....Also it is usually some guy driving a brand new 30K or more Pickup who says I payed too much....I just tell them to come back in five years and lets see which one of us is ahead on our auto investments....

23. Jay Yuskaitis

Jay Yuskaitis

Guess it depends on how young you are. How much money you have just might play a "part". I'fn I could go back 30 years and be 40 again, I'd already have it in my garage! We'd find a way to pay for it! Just as we always did. Jay Y.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

sorry to say but that car in that condition isnt worth anywhere near 20K-30K where we come from. They go for that restored...if youre lucky

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I myself do not understand all the love and money for some of the " offbeat " ( insert a lot of HAMB friendly stuff ) projects here. :D

That does not mean that those folks are crazy ... just a " different " crazy than I am.

This thread has degenerated into the same as a lot of others.
    IF ... you have a 32 Ford ( or have that dreaded DEUCE SICKNESS ) ... you understand that the price of the 5W is not out of line and about what the market will stand. IF you do not have a 32 Ford ... and do not have the DEUCE SICKNESS ... you will never understand WHY these one year Henry Ford automobiles bring that kind of money. If this 32 5W coupe was a Model A ... the agrueing price would be 5 grand or so ...

:eek:

26. rick finch

rick finch

So....are you saying I can score a restored '32 5-window for $20-30K in Ct?
    Guys, the line forms to the rear.....;):D

27. Sorry, I'm buying all of them at that price.;)....I'll make you a great deal on one. :p

28. rick finch

rick finch

Selfish bastard...........:mad::D

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

Rustynewyorker says;
    Yup,and that is one good thing about NY :D

30. and to be honest i saw a 5 window on a really bitched up chassis with shitty patch panels and a hemi in it for 23,000 at the swapmeet sunday.....i would much rather buy this one for the same money and just fix what time did to it not what a hammer headed hack did.
    tk