Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roadster build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Oct 21, 2015.

1. bct

bct

I found a really nice stock 32 frame for my 28 roadster. I've been gathering parts for years and have a 48 flatty and 38 trans. Ive done plenty of searches but can't find what i need.

What parts do i need for mounting trans to 32 K member . I found the rubber mount part aftermarket but is there a spacer i need too?

Who makes nice engine mounts that work well with an unboxed frame.

Starting to think about pedals too. Feel free to send me in the right direction.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    dana barlow and chop job like this.
  2. bct

bct

RodKnuk likes this.
  3. clem

clem

Looks like you are doing well without us.........

4. Hey bct, I know for a few post over The Hamb... You will modified the toploader by taking off the support and change to the model B support....

bct likes this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My pops is building an A v8, for motor mounts we used a piece of 3" x 1-1/2 rectangle stock and made the mounts with some nice radius on them. He bought a set of stock biscuts also. Ill try to find a picture.

bct likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

DSC02759.JPG Shity picture but maybe this will help.

bct likes this.
  7. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

You can get mounts from tardel I think

8. bct

bct

Thanks for that. What parts are 32 and what are later. I know i can buy the mount but is there anything else i need?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Does someone reproduce these complete mounts?

bct likes this.
  10. bct

bct

I did some more research after posting and it mentioned that between sacremento vintage ford and tardel you can get the parts. I think i have a couple pre 37 trans that i can use the stuff from. I'll check this w/e.

11. bct

bct

Now to figure out what rear spring? Had no idea that the 32 mount is curved. 85yr old stuff and its all new to me.

Doctorterry likes this.
  12. Duke

Duke

You can grind the 35 and newer spring to fit. I have seen it done on old hotrods with 40 rears. Curved springs are 32 to 34. Where did you find the frame?

bct likes this.
  13. bct

bct

Kamloops

jordabennett likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

32-34 rear springs are around.....

bct likes this.
  15. If you do use a '32-'34 spring, you are limited to either using an early banjo or changing the spring hangers on a later rear. If you grind a '35 up spring to fit the '32 crossmember you can use a later banjo rear as is.

bct likes this.
  16. bct

bct

I have a 40 rear and spring. I am assuming you just need to hollow out one side of the spring pack to clear the curved member? How deep ? Must not be much .Sorry i dont have all the stuff in one place.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im sure you could transplant a later model rear cross member.

18. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

A Model 'A' rear crossmember & spring works and looks great. Not sure if the 'A' spring is the same length as the '40 spring though. I think it is...

19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Will Model a spring will work on any of the spring behind rearends? With a model a crossmember of course.

20. Here is a top view of a '32 spring IMG_8317.jpg I just sold.

Charlie Stephens

bct likes this.
  21. Sure; but usually only used on a deuce frame to gain room for a quick change.

22. bct

bct

Thanks for the info all ! Trying to build this in my head before i start for real.

I will leave the frame stock as possible. Considering the cost I'm not going to start cutting . Might not pinch even.

I collected aftermarket rails, 39 x with pedals , 40 rear cross and a nice A front crossmember before i found this stock frame. I feels good to be using the real deal and worth the money as i like antique.

I found a donor trans in my pile for the mount parts so that is sorted. car003.jpg

Here is the body. I sold everything else.

23. bct

bct

What's the deal with unsplit bones? I will be running a 48 8ba . Is there a certain width front yoke i need or will they all work. I think i will be splicing a yoke on to some late 40s bones. TIA!

24. alchemy

alchemy

A wider yoke like a 32-34 will work best to move the wishbones toward the outside to miss the oil pan. It gets close on low cars in the flywheel area. Sometimes you can buy yokes from guys who split their wishbones.

bct likes this.
  25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Mount...the flat plate from '32 that actually bolts to the frame and the rubber ring are reproduced. The casting can be sourced from a late model car, '33-36 with the 2-ear types of mounts...that means look for the rubber ring in there, if you see that you have the kind you need to cannibalize.
    Pete Van Seggern on the barn did a nice pictorial of the work on a late spring. Nothing too dramatic.
    You want Hurs a-28 mounts that bolt to the inside of the frame channel...Tardel sells new ones essentially identical. All others I know of are short to weld to a boxing plate.

26. bct

bct

downloadfile-25.jpg

Thanks bruce. Those are exactly what i have in mind. Found this pic you posted earlier via google .

Was there only one sized passenger car /truck trans 33-36.? I have one but man it looks tiny.

27. bct

bct

100_5366-2.JPG
    my frame. Super excited about this!

kidcampbell71 likes this.