The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Oct 24, 2021.
Ok I’m tuned in, that intake rules, and lots of other cool stuff going on here
Nicely coming together @Anderson, this is obviously not your first run at Hotrod and your all around skillset is admirable indeed...Happy New Year...blah blah......
Thanks for sharing the journey...
Here's a better view of Burnham's roadster and the way the radiator shell blends back to the cowl when using a long hood. Though the "math" (see my previous post ^^^^^^^) says to cut the shell 1 1/2" to 2" there is an optical illusion in play with which you'll have to deal as well. As I recall there is a feature in an old Rodder's Journal (which I think is also available online) which discusses this construction detail of his car. Good luck!
The grill is just kinda setting on there to get a visual. I still need to get the actual radiator I am using which will be shorter than the mock up one I currently have. If the grill does need to be lower, then I will notch it on the sides but at least it won’t hang down quite so much. It does look like the body on the blue roadster is a bit farther back on the frame than what I have too, making for what looks like a very long hood. And as you can see, my body is still in pieces and missing a lot, so it should go without saying that none of it is mounted at all. I have been thinking about doing the pie cut on the bottom of the cowl too. I would like to get a little farther along on the chassis before I start worrying about body stuff though.
How about the radiator mover foreword of the crossmember and lowered a little.
Lookin good. The best compliment I can pay you is if you had not mentioned sectioning the shell, I wouldn’t have noticed. Over-sectioned 32 shells are hard on the eyes, but the grill hang down is unsightly as well. Love the subtlety.
What’s the plan for the insert? I assume the one that came with the shell no longer fits. And cutting up an original seems unnecessary.
I have some thoughts on what to do for the insert but nothing I’m really thrilled about, so no plan yet.
Slow down. You’re gonna beat me.
You could buy some stainless steel strips and make your own insert.
I doubt that, you’ve only got 3-1/2 months anyway.
I’ll use the bars from the insert I already have.
Great progress over the holidays!
I like the work on the grill shell
That is going to be a kickass roadster
Not going to be a whole lot to report on this month. My funds are quite low after the wheel and tire orders and I have to save up for a trip to the GNRS at the end of the month.
My front tires did show up finally. Spent more time on the windshield today. Had to fix the threads on the body stubs to mount the posts. Then I did some tweaking on the side-to-side brace under the windshield to let the frame set back a bit more flush with the posts. It’s not perfect, but I feel it’s a good compromise.
In the past I thought of a v’d front spreader bar as more of a street rod thing. But I’ve seen enough early examples giving it provenance, and I’ve kinda grown to like them in the right setting. Mine will be welded and molded into the frame horns. I had some scrap tubing that was about the right diameter so I cut and welded it to see how it would look. I think I’ll taper the top and bottom of the rails a little to meet the diameter of the tubing.
Bobbing the frame horns also helps it not be so street-roddy, and more Bob McGee-y. Love it.
Bar looks good.
With no parts on the way other than backordered wheels/tires, I still needed to cross something off the list. I picked steering.
I originally bought this box from Neal Jennings for my last T project. It’s an F1 box with the flange machined off, but stuffed with the guts from a cross-steer box (if I remember correctly) so that the pitman arm points up. Now before anyone starts yelling at me about bump steer, know that the engine block is empty, and there is still a lot of weight yet to come to the car. I will also probably end up making my own steering arm at the spindle, and some reshaping of the pitman arm with the goal being to make the drag link parallel to the hairpins. I had him machine the shaft into a double-D for me too, as I intend to use a different column.
I located where the box would fit best on the frame and cut the holes in the outside rail. Then kinda hacked away at the inside boxing plate until the box could set in place. Then I made a doubler plate to fit on the back side of the rail and added a flange to it. I trimmed the boxing plate opening so the piece fit and would bolt up to the rail, then trimmed the flange down shy of the boxing plate and tacked it in. I cobbled together enough stuff to mock up the steering shaft and wheel. Once I had the box where I wanted it, I tacked it to the actual mounting flange for the box as provided by Neal. I will be taking the box up to work for the finish welding.
Thats it for now!
What is this tube for? Carb Heat? Never saw a set of headers with that.
Looks good dude
It's a whistle that sounds when you reach peak RPM.
I think so. These headers were meant for a tri-5 Chevy and I guess that was part of the factory setup. Technically the one pictured is for the passenger side.
The early headers all had tubes like that for carb heat to the choke, this is before they went to electric chokes. That header usually goes on the right side
Front wheels showed up today so I wasted no time manhandling the tires on when I got home. Rear tires are still back ordered until early March it looks like. I would love to see this thing on the ground!
Dang I want Halibrand (copies) for my coupe but these Torq Thrusts gots me all confused now! looks good!
You just gotta get more cars so you can have both!
Both with the same bolt pattern so you can swap them around
Great start to what will be a classic!
Separate names with a comma.