Register now to get rid of these ads!

homemade TIG cooler pump ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weldtoride, Mar 26, 2009.

1. weldtoride

weldtoride

I searched this here, didn't come up with much, sorry if it's redundant. Anyone run a homemade TIG water cooler that doesn't use a Procon style pump? Specifically, I am thinking about a garden fountain type pump. Will I get the required 1 qt/min flow through a 12 foot 300 amp torch? What about through a 25 foot torch? I am willing to bite the financial bullet and go with a Procon if I have to, but I'd rather not. Any real experiences here will be appreciated.

here the best home brew plans I found, again, I am open to suggestions:
    http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1275

2. Splinter

Splinter

The one on my BIG Linde uses an SBC oil pump and pickup with a big AC motor. Just need a tank and some kind of coupler from the motor to the oil pump. that should give you the volume and "pushing power" you need for a long torch. I think my torch leads are 20', and I've never had an overheating problem.

3. Mr. Weld

Mr. Weld

I have thought about this and think the best bet would be a bilege pump from a boat. It would be 12 volt but would be a cheap way to build one..

4. When mine died many years ago and I recovered from hearing the replacement price, I went and bought a $25 pump for a fish tank and it works great.

5. weldtoride

weldtoride

Never thought about an oil pump before, I like it, and the A/F mix in the coolant should keep it lubed. I suppose if I used an old distributor as a drive coupling, I could experiment with different pulleys for slowing it down. Thanks.

6. weldtoride

weldtoride

As in outside fish pond? I like the 25 dollar part.

7. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

i have an old miller 300 amp machine, 1978 vintage. i am running a weldcraft water cooled torch and use a 5 gallon bucket with a "pond" pump. been running it for 6 years with no issues.... it was only supposed to be temp, until i saved enough cash for a real water cooler, but i also have this thing about "if it aint broke...."

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I use a submersible pump and a 10 gallon plastic trash bucket from the hardware store, for a grand total of about $30 IIRC. A garden hose with it drained out onto the lawn works good in warm weather, for virtually free.

9. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

All good ideas but if you want something more permanent, I run a 110v motor/pump assembly from mcmaster-carr. I bolted it to the rolling base. And I have a 4 gallon tank mounted on the side of the machine. Plenty of flow, even while doing 1/4" aluminum plate for a long time. Never had the torch get hot on me.

10. weldtoride

weldtoride

The pond pump is looking better all the time, gentlemen, I appreciate all the advice. My shop has no running water so I have to recirculate.

11. J. Clear

J. Clear

I'm running an air cooled torch on mine so I can't vouch for how well this will work. I know someone that has a setup that just uses his shop water supply and a garden hose set to a low flow rate. He just lets the water run through the torch and then outside the shop. He said his biggest problem was forgetting to turn off the water when he's done.

J. Clear

Sorry just saw your post about not having running water

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

A bilge pump is centrifugal so it can't make enough pressure to overcome the restriction of a long hose that small in diameter. I suspect it would be a trckle at the return end and would allow heat soak of the coolant at the gun. I tried using one on something similar once upon a time.

13. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I use a coolant pump off an old milling machine or lathe, that I bought from a machinery graveyard. It is perfect, because it is designed to do the exact same job. Just an electric motor, a long shaft, and a crude centrifugal pump on the end that sits submerged in a water sump.

14. The pump I used was for an indoor tank. Check them out at the store and pick one of the larger ones.

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Out of curiosity what's wrong with using a procon pump?? I see them pretty CHEAP on ebay from time to time.

16. weldtoride

weldtoride

Thanks, I will keep checking, and have looked there. Maybe I'm not looking at the right times, but the cheap pumps I've seen are minus the motors, unless I hit it lucky, I think I am looking at over $100 for pump/motor at the lower pressure ranges, maybe because everybody still uses them in beverage machines. I know that $100 is nothing compared to a TIG cooler from the Red or Blue guys or their competitors, but I am already spending over $100 for the water cooled torch, and then I need to add in lens holders, lenses, colletts, etc for the new torch, so I'd rather spend as little as possible here.

17. redoxwelding

redoxwelding
    from virginia

dudes all ya gotta do for home made tig cooler is use an ac condenser with fan and shroud attached , plumb to any rv or marine water system pump , 2-5 gallon resivoir , add toggle switch and you are good to go ... i have been using this type of set up for 10 or so years with miller hf 251d tig/ high feq gererator and diesel welder... for in shop just sub 120v pump with aprox 5gpm @ 40psi