Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Homemade Storage Things

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjm73, May 27, 2018.

1. tjm73

tjm73

So I needed an engine cart for not just an engine but an engine with the transmission still attached. Nobody seems to make one so I had to get creative. First thing I decided was I didn't need it to be fancy. Second thing I decided was it needed to be cheap.

I knew my engine/trans combo was under 1000 lbs. Probably closer to 650-700 lbs. So I thought about it for a week or so and then it hit me. A furniture moving dolly. I got a Harbor Frieght catalog and saw a 30"x18" dolly for a 1000 lb capacity. Cost = $15.99 less 20% with a coupon. New cost = $12.79 Perfect!

But then I wondered how do I put the engine/trans on it and distribute the load to the corners? Build a deck for it. I had a piece of 3/4" plywood in my barn, but needed a 2x4. So I picked that up at Lowes for $3.96.

First I bought my dolly. I forgot to take a picture, but here is what the website shows.

[​IMG]

Next I peeled the carpeting off ends of the dolly.

[​IMG]

Then I set up my table saw and made a few test cuts on a scrap piece of wood to set my cut depth. Once my depth was right I cut up my 2x4 8ft and test fit each piece. After I made and fit my deck pieces I assembled it into this (it's upside down in the pic).

[​IMG]

Then I grabbed the dolly and made sure it all still fit (it did).

[​IMG]

Next I flipped it over and screwed the deck to the dolly.

[​IMG]

Finally I flipped it back over and cut a piece of the 3/4 plywood to fit and screwed it down. Viola! It's done.

[​IMG]

Total cost = about $17 bucks. Granted I had a few pieces of the puzzle in my barn already but it was still damn cheap.

Now all I gotta do is throw an old tire on it and set the engine/trans down so it's balanced and strap it down with a ratchet strap. Now my engine/trans can stay married and be mobile until I am ready to use it.

2. zzford

zzford

Nice. I'd chrome it.

dana barlow, patmanta, brEad and 12 others like this.
  3. tjm73

tjm73

Well, I did think about rattle canning it. But it would have put the project way over budget.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

we knew you wood get 'er done

5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Lots of creative, smart people here! That's great...only problem now is your head won't fit through the door! :)
    Speaking of inexpensive things this is a Dayton mandrel set, mounted on scrap 2x12s about 4ft high bolted to a garage post, slot for v belt goes down to a 1hp motor that I put a large adjustable tension spring on it. Stuff I had except for the LED light above, mandrel ordered eBay has grease fittings. It won't stall no matter what! Grinding & wire wheel. Sorry for poor pictures, lightning knocked out our power just now for a little while. 20180527_213613.jpeg 20180527_213623.jpeg 20180527_213700.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea, those moving dollies are handy. They also work great without any of your carpentry skills, if you happen to have a bare SB Chevy block you want to store and/or roll around.
    This one came from Northern Tool - cross pieces fit between the main bearing caps perfectly.

cart_1.jpg \
    cart_1a.jpg

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was always pretty proud of this. We built a simple shelving unit to hold our bench stock buckets. You can dump the bucket on top to sort through until you find your piece.
    [​IMG]

Once you found what you needed, you put the bucket in the slot under the hole and clean up is quick. We've been using this for the last 7 years.............works great

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  8. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

IN-GENIUS !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Patent it...quick!

hrm2k and Johnny Gee like this.
  10. tjm73

tjm73

That is slick.

hrm2k likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built this dolly for my flathead and trans. harbor freight casters, a few bolts and some left over timbers from building my house. Works like a charm
    upload_2018-5-27_20-58-0.png

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I see you bought the two bolt main dolly, might be a little tight with a four bolt main block.:rolleyes:

13. I don't know if it's storage exactly but I have a flat cart with a handle that was an ancient shopping cart - the chain went out of business in the 70s - that I picked up on town junk day one year from a neighbor who appeared to have been using it as a cart to haul their trash cans in and out to the curb. The basket was long gone, with part of the support for that sawed off and just the handle and the bottom and a piece of plywood on it.

It's on it's third deck, I redid it a second time when someone left a bunch of pieces of 1/2" plywood behind at the Syracuse Nats last year so cost to redo it was zero. The 1/4" on 1x3s I had put on it was getting pretty whipped.

I usually use it for getting in and out of hobby shows but it went in and out of the junkyard a couple times too. In the summer, all the hobby stuff stacks up on top of it in the garage and waits for those meets to start again. Which includes crates and trays I made that let me set up most of a table in about 10 minutes.

I have to say if I wanted to do an engine dolly I might look for another cart to base it from.

14. aircap

aircap

That storage unit/sorting shelf with the hole is GENIUS. I must steal the idea.

Doctorterry and hrm2k like this.
  15. evintho

evintho

All right, I'll jump in. Working out of a two car garage, space is at a premium. After 2 months of shakedown runs it was time to tear the roadster down to address any issues and clean, paint and polish before reassembly. Problem was...........where to put all the parts and still have room to work? One idea was my suspension dolly. 4 casters that I pulled off something years ago and a bunch of scrap lumber. All suspension components in one spot and it's mobile! Took about an hour to build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

grocery shopping cart for an engine dolly. 20180402_105207.jpg

catdad49, alanp561, jazz1 and 5 others like this.
  17. khead47

khead47

Small parts. Old, rusty Triumph wheel.

Attached Files:

18. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

My 320 in line Buick 8 weighs just under 1,000 pounds. The weight of the engine crushed the wheels on my furniture dolly so I made one extra long and extra stout. The blocks match the engine mount locations. I still have room and wheel capacity to bolt the transmission onto the bell housing.

IMG_5296.JPG IMG_5297.JPG

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have two of those, they work great.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Put a string of LED patio lights in the baby food bottles and, BOOM! Cool shop ceiling light chandelier!

catdad49, Doctorterry and Frankie47 like this.
  21. I have an alley behind my place where shopping trolleys get dumped,. and they end up in shopping trolley hell and get converted to engine dollys. I have 1 to suit Chevy 6, 1 for SBC, and 1 for Holden Red motors. They sure save your back when clean-up year comes around.

catdad49, 55Deso and 34 GAZ like this.
  22. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

For my flathead, I built a platform with six wheels (only 'cause I had them) then used schedule 80 pvc pipe to support the engine off the platform. The rear of the engine is bolted through the bell housing flanges and the middle of the pvc pipe. The from of the engine uses l-brackets used to secure the bottom sill of a house on the concrete foundation. I flipped those upside down with the short "L" though the water pump engine mount holes.

That's my rebuilt pressure plate and clutch disc for the 320 8 cyl in the box on the floor.

new engine.JPG

23. Thats the safety problem. Some of those cheap dolly wheels have weak/thin support to their axle. First time you try to turn your engine around on the floor the side supports from the axle just twist, bend down and your engine is no longer stable. Great thread, keep ém coming.

24. Nice looking garage, but how do you keep the windows clean?

hrm2k likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kbgreen, I bet you own that place, the Flathead seems so out of place.( looks good in my opinion). Know why the cellophane is wrapped around the transmission.... that stuff stinks, especially the older stuff. Had a Columbia rear end, open, in my mini-van for two days, stunk pretty bad. Bones

26. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

It's my office and it belongs cause we all get art work in our office, right boss? The whole set up has been rebuilt and has new grease so it doesn't smell that bad. In moderation, some of car smells put me back in the garage. I mostly wrapped the rear open end to keep dust out.

27. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

What dust? That place looks cleaner than our kitchen

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Boy that's nice. I'd be seriously jealous were it not for a couple of terms I have vague memories of: office and boss. ;)

'51 Norm and kbgreen like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-29_4-31-25.png

Hey T,
    We made a 1” wide, angle iron rectangle welded together and attached to steel roller skates for our 1960’s version of a motor cart. We had extra angle iron and of course steel roller skates that were not being used. If we needed more height and motor stability, we used a strong, steel reinforced, milk crate on the frame.

This set up held a 283 short block, a SBC long block and a complete 292 C.I. 671 SBC motor strapped down (at different times) with 1” nylon straps from an army surplus store. The metal end hooks allowed quick attachment and release to anywhere on the angle iron frame.

That set up worked because there was nothing else on the market that would work for us. Plus, if there was a rolling engine cart, it cost money. That we did not have, but time and skill we had lots of it.
    upload_2018-5-29_4-35-33.png
    Your current idea is much better as the wood frame roller is an all direction cart. I have one in my garage and it has seen many uses all over the house and garage. My hooks are on the bottom, but will be moved elsewhere. You have plenty of clearance for flip out hooks.

Our early, steel cart only could go in one direction (not the boy band) and we had to lift the strapped motor to move it in another direction. The steel roller skates were forward or reverse only…

Jnaki

If I may suggest, a thick tire for the lower motor support on the wood platform should be inside of the cart perimeter. A smaller, thicker tire that fits gives more support and stays inside of the exterior area. But, the key is attaching something to the wood frame securely like those hoist rings at the 4 corners.

If the hoist rings flip in and out, you will have clearance to do many other jobs with this cart. Now, your straps have hooks on the ends and can easily be clipped on or off when cross strapping the motor down. Great project !

hrm2k and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very cool idea.
    Very neat idea and up out of the way