Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Homemade" steering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, Nov 3, 2015.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

has anyone used a early 60s ford f100 steering column/ box to make a steering shaft? I've searched and searched with no avail. I'm wondering if you could cut the shaft right above the gear box and cut the cover tube about 2in above that. Fit a bearing in between the 2 To keep the shaft centered and cut the shaft to fit a dd u-joint?

2. fordor41

fordor41

that's exactly what I did on my '41. Cut the stock '41 shaft and tube. Installed a plastic bearing at the bottom and used a U-joint to join the shaft to a Saginaw gearbox

3. I did the same thing on a 53 chevy box/column. Put a sealed bearing in the bottom of the column and left 4" of shaft sticking out...I welded on a rag joint receiver, using wet rags to cool the stub shaft so it wouldnt' damage the column's sealed bearing. I also tapped a sealed bearing in the 4" piece of steering column coming out of the steering box and welded another rag joint receiver on the 10" stub of shaft coming out of the steering box.
    The column was a 71 chevy van unit with a modern turn signal setup. Use plenty of cold, wet rags on the steering shaft when welding.
    Filing a pair of flats for a double D u-joint on the stub shafts is a better idea but I was super broke.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As above for my 46 Olds. Cut outer tube and solid inner shaft (3/4" OD), machined 3/4" DD end and made a nylon bearing with inner bearing race (3/4" ID, local Ford column bearing) that rests on a small collar. Added a plate to allow it to bolt to toe board. I just need to cut a recess for external circlip at base of nylon when unit joint slips on to prevent shaft moving backwards into passenger compartment in the event of an accident. Column2.jpg lOWER COLUMN BEARING.jpg Lower colum bearing & shaft.jpg

olscrounger likes this.

5. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Nice I started to pull my shaft apart last night. I'll keep a thread going

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O He started to pull his shaft apart :eek: :D:D:D:D

oldnuts likes this.
  7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Calm down Beavis!

8. I used a "top hat" style Oilite bearing instead of a plastic bearing. Held it in place with grub screws.