Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade shave-door popper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tito, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

We shaved everything off my lady's 62 Falcon, and did it with the Spal kit which included 2 door poppers. I also wired it so an actuator releases the trunk latch on the push of a button.

My question: I want the trunk to "pop" open. (latch opens, but needs some "kick" to pop it. Don't want to spend $25 at the local billet hot rod shop for a single door popper. (I am not really a cheapskate, but don't like giving my $$$ to people like them if I can do it myself. Is there another way? Maybe a high tension coil-spring on the trunk-lid bumpers?

Anybody done/made something like this?

I would rather pay the $25 in parts at a hardware store and make it myself than buy it if possible.

Thanks, Erron

2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Can it be done? Yes. Do you really want to waste your time screwing around with something that might work most of the time when there is a easily available alternative that is known to work? If so....Design away.
    Id rather be driving my car than tinkering with something that cane be done easier.
    My 2 cents....

3. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

I appreciate the 2 cents. I just wanted to know if anyone has done it, or knows how.

BTW: I saw the feature OSR did on your club...sweet rides, and yall seem down to earth. Keep it up.
    Erron

4. Torque one of the trunk springs so it pops it up maybe, thats how 80's electric trunks worked. Or put an extra hood-popper spring on a plate next to the latch (mount it to the deck so it's out of the way to get in the trunk). Simple, reliable, and probably cost less than $5 even if you have to weld up some kind of bracket. Just clean it up and paint it.

Dip the spring in some rubber tool-handle coating stuff so it doesn't leave ugly scratch marks on your mount plate, or put a piece of rubber (cut out of an old tire maybe) on whatever it's pushing against when the deck is closed.

Lo-tech to be sure, but shoot I don't know how you could make anything electrical work for $25 unless you have an 80's GM with power door locks you can cannibalize for free, or know where one is, and use a door lock solenoid to pop it. Those damn things are a pain to get out, too, they rivet them on and the fastest way off is a chisel on the aluminum backing.

Going to see if said solenoids will work the latches on my '50 and do the doors homemade style, FWIW -

5. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Going to see if said solenoids will work the latches on my '50 and do the doors homemade style, FWIW -[/QUOTE]

Just make sure the are powerfull enough. I found that a goooood dose of liquid wrench on all door mechs cleans em good, then spray with soapy pater and scrub every part you can. EVERY PART! After clean and dry, I like lithium grease to lube everything.

You can test the power of the junkyard solenoids w/ a any # benchpress disc type plate weight. Hook it to batt + ground, hit it QUICK, and if it lifts it, It is probably at least 10# over whatever weight you are using. That is just what I have found. Hope this helps you, and thanks for the info.
    Erron

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

In the late 80's, probably other years as well, GM used a small 'arm' to push open doors. Check in the jams of Monte Carlos, Regals, big cars as well. 2 screws, and junkyard prices, and they're yours.
    You could also make something similar to the available poppers, using a bolt, or a hood adjuster (has a rubber bumper on it) a spring from the hardware store, a piece of tubing the bolt fits into, and a washer and stop nut. Need a diagram?

7. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I think if you were to add up time spent fabing up something, it probably wouldn't be as clean looking as the 25 dollar popper.

8. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Didn't they used to use motorcycle valvesprings, back in the day, as poppers? I think I read something recently. :confused: It may be a worthless idea, but there it is.

Tucker

9. skipperman

skipperman

In the past I have used one or two small springs attached to the trunk lid or near the lock assembly or on the trunk opening lip( on the body) and used a washer snd self-tappers to hold them ...works great and CHEAP !!

jersey skip

10. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Folks used to use valve springs on their doors "back in the day". I'm thinking gas struts for my VW's doors: it would make them pop & then slowly open up. You could do the same with your trunklid. Cost more than a few bucks, but would look trick IMO.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the right application of high explosives.

11. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Mid eighties Mustangs (and probably other fords too) have spring loaded door poppers in the door jambs. Head down to the Pick-Yer-Part, and remember the golden rule of the junk yard: If it fits in your pants, it's free.

12. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I had a buddy that did use modified valve springs mounted on brackets for the doors on his lincoln and it worked pretty well. I will admit that creating uses for things/old parts is a damn cool thing to do, i'm just so damn busy with work and life that I dont have the time to experiment with stuff. I usually gotta make it work right away.. oh well..... I hate being responsible sometimes....

Thanks for the comment. We are pretty lucky.We have some good peple and lots of good times. Lifes too short not too.....

13. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Those are NOT "door poppers", they're tensioners to hold the door open. So you're a fucking THEIF, huh? Come to my place & they'll carry you out in a body bag.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.

14. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

yell at one of the "wounded" bodies in the trunk to push it open when they hear that noid' pop!!!!

15. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

should be able to use a bolt,a couple of nuts, a few washers and a spring to make a decent trunk "pop".....won't fling it open but'll open it enough to keep it from latching again.

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

new weatherstripping will usually make it "pop"
    a little further open for a few years.

that is,if yer' trunk is leaking!

17. The door lock solenoids from the seventies GMs are the ones to use. They look like a can, with a rod coming out of one end, usually formed into a loop with a rubber insulating disc in the loop.

These guys are strong. Also loud. And they're real solenoids, not rack and pinion motors, like the stuff used later. Don't use anything with any plastic in it, it's not strong enough.

Don't remove the interior handles, either, its not smart (electrical failure: how do I get OUT!! :eek: )

Cosmo.

As for the trunk popper, look at a hood with an internal cable. They have to 'pop' open, else you're not gettin' in!!

I'm thinking spring (leaf, possibly coil, leaf better) in the receiver, arranged to push against the latch when closed.

18. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

19. kentucky

kentucky

I would seriously consider gas struts from a junkyard. Find some off a car with a heavy hood or an SUV maybe with a hatch that weighs close to your decklid. Fab up some brackets and you're done. That way if your lady has an armful of groceries she can hit the remote and be done. Just like a new Cadillac:D

20. I used the springs behind window cranks and welded them in the upper right corner.

21. aedan

aedan
    from ###

i remember seeing that aswell, im pretty sure it was on the hamb actually. im pretty sure it was in a post titled tricks and tips or something

22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

This post reminded me of the old timers talking in the old shop about the problems of the doors popping open. One guy remembers stuffing those "pinkies", the soft pink hardball sized balls, into the door hinges. Anyone else ever do that?

23. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Dickheads like this not to be confused with Tuck, also from Canada. I think you'll find this is NOT the Golden rule of most Hambers.