Register now to get rid of these ads!

homebrewed hotrods who here builds them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Jan 12, 2012.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Who here builds there own car from bodywork to paint mockup motors ect,In there garages at home like me.......Want to see pics of the cars,Ive been lazy lately need the inspiration

2. Koz

Koz

3. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

4. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I do it all at home with my dad and son. To see pics look in my album.

5. D-man313

D-man313

Me and my dad. Both of our first build. Help early on from a good friend and lots of tech help from the HAMB.

Attached Files:

6. guido`s 40

guido`s 40
    from nebraska

a good friend and me have been building this 40 chevy truck, we have made the frame from 2x4 tubing and used the front part off a model A, chopped the cab 5 inches, used a 39 tail gate and stake pockets and made the rest out of 16 guage for the bed,used a four link for the rear,so far everything has been done in my garage just got the wiwing done and fired up

Attached Files:

7. [​IMG]

I built this from scratch...straight tubes and sheet aluminum. One of these days I'll break down and build a hot rod.;)

8. If I don't do it myself it doesn't get done. Maybe that's why I've never finnished a car.

Doug.

[​IMG]

9. whisky runner

whisky runner

i am too poor to pay anyone to work on any of my projects.. here are a few in my shop now.. i know i have more projects than i have sense..:)

the 46 caddy hearse...
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/46 caddy hearse project/

the traveling rig 46 white..
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/...c bus demolition/46 magic bus reconstruction/

the 51 ford soon to have a straight axle for gasser style
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/51 ford project/

the 51 chevy.. 50's style street cruiser
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/51 chevy project/

and a not hamb friendly 73 javelin 401 amx clone
    http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/rcplumley/73 javelin project/

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

The 38' Willys was built when I got out of high school 20 yrs. ago. I took the AutoBody class at the community college where you could work on a personal project to get some garage time. I ended up finishing & painting it at the folks gravel driveway in front of their garage. The 34' Ford was built about 3 yrs. ago out of my own 2 car garage. The only thing I had sent out was the powdercoating of the wheels and machine work of the engine. Everything else was done 20 ft. from my bedroom door :)

Attached Files:

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I do everything myself. That's probably why there are so many projects at my place. Anyway, everything from chassis to paint.

12. Jcurtisward

Jcurtisward
    from Tucson, AZ

13. gdub

gdub

I've done everything on my panel so far. Volare , 9 inch, floorboards, rear door hinge repair etc. May have a trade with a friend to shoot the paint when it's ready. I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do anything.

Attached Files:

14. Choff

Choff

Building my 29 dodge coupe in a 2 car garage, with minimum of tools and lots of time and not much money, but having fun and its all mine. In the next couple of weeks going to chop it 3" and make the door for the driver side, Take your time !!!
    Choff

Attached Files:

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Mine was/is. All torn apart right now gettin pretty along with some minor changes I've always wanted to do..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The only thing I haven't done myself is upholstery.

17. Most everything is done in my garage, by myself. The exception on my current project will be upholstery (maybe/probably), and a complete exhaust (I now have a temporary makeshift exhaust I created for the drive to the muff shop).
    I have learned over the years that if you want it done, and done to your satisfaction, you are better off financially, emotionally, and time wise, to just do it yourself.
    I try to avoid paying someone, for something I can do myself.
    I'm in the middle of prepping then painting it green, same as the interior.
    IMG_0517.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  18. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

It's always been my contention that if you didn't build your own car, you weren't a hot rodder, you're just a hot rod owner.

I'm building my 29 AV8 roadster in a one car garage...it's cozy to say the least

19. Samster

Samster
    from Belgium

20. dexleo2

dexleo2

The only thing I farm out is Auto transmission. Everything else I do my self

21. squirrel

squirrel

me too...but I realize I'm not very good at spraying paint, so I also let someone else do that for me when I want a car to look good.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I also have done most everything in my garage....see my album on '63 Chevy for pics if you care to...
    I love it, plus can't afford to pay someone else to do it....
    Cheers..........

23. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

24. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I mostly built mine at home. I also used a friend lift for a while, then back home to finish it off. I have a thread on the build. " My one eyed Roadster" Check it out.

Attached Files:

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Everything except major engine machining. If I dont do it, it doesn't get done. But my car is off-topic. Doesnt have efi though...:p:rolleyes:

26. 1930 Model A sedan
    what I started with... and where I am today... (do everything from fab, paint, pin striping, to upholstery. no money to pay somebody else to do it I guess, or stupidity...)
    [​IMG]
    today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  27. cruiser51

cruiser51

I do every thing in my 2 car garage frame up to paint. damb their is some nice garages on this site. my 53 im working on now.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      354.8 KB
      Views:
    • 115.jpg
      115.jpg
      File size:
      284.4 KB
      Views:
  28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here's mine

Attached Files:

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yup, all of them.

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I don't believe that at all. I know some pretty awesome dudes that bleed for this hobby that can't or don't build their own stuff.