Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical homeade bellhousing adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 410merc, May 20, 2016.

1. 410merc

410merc

hey have any of you guys made your own bellhousing adapter , the reason I ask is because I just put a 389 Pontiac in my modal a ford fit nice looks nice , but I don't have a bellhousing ,but I have a chevy bellhousing so I started looking at it and the dowels look to be in the same place and it would not be that hard this car won't see the dragstrip just driving ,so what do you guys think? thanks guys

2. You better be dead on with your measurements or you will have issues, even on just a street car. I have made my own adapters before (not Pontiac to Chevy though, sorry) on my mill using a digital read out to place hole centers. Lots of time to get it right and if you can find blueprints of both patterns (Chevy is easy to find) it will make everything much easier. Good luck, post pics.

3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...if I am correct the starters are on different sides of the bell housing?.....

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The dowel pins locate everything correctly...assuming the engine hasn't been line bored to death. There used to be a small adapter that would adapt BOP pattern transmissions to Chevy..so you can use a Pontiac turbo 400 behind a Chevy for example. There are also some later years (later 70s or 80s I think) automatic transmission that have universal bellhousings they fit BOP and Chevy. Lastly you can get a scattershield that is universal GM. This is all assuming you have a 1964 GTO 389...or 1965 TO 66 389. If you have the earlier trans mount starter...you'll have to figure a way to mount the starter...

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Speedway and others sell the adapter...Speedway only wants about $40..

Attached Files:

6. gatz

gatz

^^^ you can't even begin to think about making one if it goes for $40
    the work's already been done

Morrisman likes this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

You can't buy a BOP bell for $40........