Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home powder coating expert, I have questions ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I ordered an Eastwood powder coating gun today.

My question concerns the oven. I will get an old dedicated garage oven for curing the powder. But, would a smaller toaster oven work too for smaller parts ? I figured this would save heating the big oven up all the time for little brackets and pulleys and the like.

Second, can I powdercoat something in stages assuming I masked it properly ? Say for example, do the back of a wheel, then after it's cured and cool, shoot the front and bake it again to cure the front.

Thank you,
    Kevin

2. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I use a pretty good size toaster oven, that I bought at the local Restore for $15.00, for small parts and it works great! I'm not an expert , by any stretch, but I think that biggest problem in stages would be the masking.

3. I got the craftsaman setup and bought a used $20 full size electric oven of craigslist. I wait to do a whole batch so the toaster oven was out of the question for me. I have done coating in stages though, and black and clear seem to come out fine, but when using the colors or the chrome ( with or without clear over it) they sometimes tend to "mismatch" in color, although it is very slightly. Probably has something to do with the thickness of application or technique, but none the less it is noticeable.

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Instead of masking parts, I use the foam tipped 'paint brushes' that you find and the local home center and dip them in water to remove powder from the areas I don't want covered. For instance, you can coat and bake a finned valve cover with one step chrome and after it has cooled, powder it with black, use the brushes to clean the fins and expose the chrome powder.

Hope that made sense.

5. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

WOW! I've been powder coating for years and never knew some of this stuff. I'm still learnin'!

6. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

You guys should post pictures of some of your stuff. The toaster oven thing sounds great to me. Since heating elements come in all shapes and sizes I've wondered if anyone has played around with home built ovens for larger items.

7. Large_911

Large_911

A buddy of mine got an old chemical storage cabinet and insulated the inside -- it works great. I forget what type of heating elements he used. PM me if you want more details and I can put you in touch w/ him.

8. if you google "home made powder coating ovens" you get several links to people who have built their own ovens of varying sizes and power, some even give vendors and part numbers.

9. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

several powder coat forums have this same topic, and more
    we have an industrial oven, so not much help on building a home unit.
    powderbuythepound.com
    eastwood forum
    powdercoatingonline.com
    all great resources!

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

never even heard of home powder coating.

11. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

I was just woundering,what tempeture is needed for doing powder coating? I have a big oven for my composite work, and was thinking of maybe doing some stuff.

12. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Most powders cure between 3-400'F Lower tempeture= more time
    Also cure temps are the part piece temp, not the oven temp.

Need powder coating? Call me 262 573 4511 SE Wisconsin

13. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    I bought the Craftsman setup on sale and I picked up a toaster oven at the church white elephant sale for 5 bucks. It works great for brackets and pulleys and such. The kit I have suggests using 400 degrees as the "cooking" temperature.
    Rick

14. cretin

cretin

the powders from eastwood say to bake at 425 or 450 deg. (I can't remember which right now) untill the powder melts and flows out, then bake at 400 deg. for 15 min.

15. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Depending on the powder, most powders cure between 390* - 425*F for 10 - 15 minutes metal temp.

16. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

can you use a gas oven or does it have to be electric?

17. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

our oven is gas fired