Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Home Movies: Drag Racing Circa '65

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 30, 2024.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Home Movies: Drag Racing Circa '65

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. noboD

noboD

Sorry, can't help but thanks. Lots of heavy hitter gassers and altereds. I love the red '55 with red windows.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  3. 88fxr

88fxr
    from Kingman AZ

Pretty sure that is Muncie, Indiana drag strip. I remember the Ed Martin Ford (Indy) red 32 roadster quite well . It was on the show room floor for years. I bracket raced there often in 80's.

Victor in Kingman/Mesa

Junior Stock and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

I grew up in South Bend, we raced Avilla which was 1/8 mile on Fridays, Saturday at Martin Michigan and Sundays at Raceway Park or Bunker Hill. Never raced at Muncie but good chance he is correct. Some cars looked familiar. Late 60's we raced only NHRA point events which meant more travel to bigger tracks all over the Midwest.

5. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

Osceola Dragway was the home track. Between South Bend and Elkhart In. I have some movies on a disc if you want some more to post.

6. Airloom67

Airloom67

This looks like Muncie Dragway, and it is just before the 1964 NHRA Nationals, probably a tune-up meet, since Muncie was an NHRA track. George Montgomery's Willys and Fred Hurst's Willys both from Dayton, Ohio are shown as well as the Moody/Jones cars from Indiana. The clue to the Nationals time frame is the appearance of Charlie Smith's "Plain Vanilla" A/Altered from Oklahoma City. The Car would have been in town for the Nationals, where Charlie won Comp Eliminator that year. The blue A/Comp shown just past the two minute mark is the Middletown Pacemakers car from Middletown, Ohio that won the class at the Nationals '63, '64 sand'65. My dad built that car, and that is the 1964 version. We received a new T roadster body in August, and it doesn't have full graphics in the photo. Also, we had to raise the roll bar on the K-88 chassis for the Nationals, and it has not yet been raised in the photo. There is some great footage in this video. Thanks for sharing.

88fxr likes this.
  7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Always enjoy taking a trip back in time watching these vintage videos. Thanks for posting.