Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. second fiddle

second fiddle

my car is not HAMB friendly but this tool I fabbed up can be used for any patch work. I had a rusty area under the rear seat in which there is no aftermarket piece for. It has a couple of different angles that I could of pounded in but I wanted to build this thing anyway! I scrounged all the pieces from work in various "junk buckets" and used the company lathe and mill to make it all fit! Total cost=nil!

Attached Files:

2. olcarguy

olcarguy

reyn....Nice cyclone...got any more info on the internal design, this is just a tease.

second fiddle.....Nice job on the bead roller.....

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My experience with blast cabinets and shop vacs was never good. Looks like cyclone would help a bunch. For the vacuums my best luck has been using kirbys.

4. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

yes,i too would like a few details on the cyclone,plan on building a blast cabinet this summer....if it ever arrives.still 3-4 feet of snow.

depressing,my steel pile is buried-deep this year.

5. reyn

reyn

There is nothing inside. The top tube goes down about 4 inches. The rest is hollow. The vacuum sucks from the top and the sand comes in from the side and centrifugal force lets the sand fall into the pail. http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/cyclone.html
    I made it the same as this one only out of steel.

6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I've seen some places that are like an operating room, others are so fucked up that if a tornado went thru there, the tornado would actually put some shit away. Lol[/QUOTE]

Guess I need a tornado.... yes, there's a reason I'm building a new shop and this is one of them.

Attached Files:

7. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

I inherited a very old Black and Decker #8 Nibbler awhile back and although it does serve a purpose, I found it to be too cumbersome for regular use so it just sat on a shelf in a shop cabinet for a long time until I had an idea to make a simple little stand to hold it the other day. It's just tacked up for now but is functional as is. I will finish weld the tubing and then add a flat table with a hole for the cutting head to drop into. This is set up to be removable should I ever need it to be and since it has a locking power switch, It Frees up both hands to work the material with. The round center piece is intentionally raised to contain chips in one area and let them spill out beneath if needed. This thing chomps through .125 aluminum like a hot knife through butter. I total cost so far is $1.87 for the hardware haha
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396556262.051983.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396556296.630840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396556316.934655.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. olcarguy

olcarguy

Y I W O R K Ever think about mounting the nibbler downside up. I use my power shear mounted in my vice with a foot control. works good and advisability is exceptional.

reyn. Thanks for that info....edzackery what I needed....

9. Y I W O R K

Y I W O R K

Olcarguy - I'm not opposed to that in a pinch but I tend to like things as stand alone as possible to keep the vise(s) free for other uses and to minimize the number of setups to finish a project. Thanks for the idea.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

:eek: Suddenly I feel much more neat and organized! :eek:

11. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

LOL...glad to be of service!

12. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Getting closer with more paint and motor plate finished for the Petingell . Hard to work on your own stuff while working on customer projects . I guess I am glad time was taken on the tower details as it turned out as good as I had hoped .

13. olcarguy

olcarguy

Y I W O R K... I've got 5 vice locations so if I tie one up it's not a biggie.

Roger53 likes this.
  14. This one is going to my favorites so I'll remember it.... :D

15. So, you got a lot of vises or vices? LOL

16. A vise (American) or vice (British) is a mechanical apparatus used to secure an object to allow work to be performed on it.

17. ViCe - noun
    1. an immoral or evil habit or practice.
    2. immoral conduct; depraved or degrading behavior: a life of vice.
    3. sexual immorality, especially prostitution.

ViSe , noun and transient verb.

Main Entry: 1vise
    Pronunciation: \ˈvīs\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English vys, vice screw, from Anglo-French vyz, from Latin vitis vine — more at withy
    Date: 1500
    1 : any of various tools with two jaws for holding work that close usually by a screw, lever, or cam 2 : something likened to a vise <economic vise of slow growth and rampant price increases &#8212; David Milne>
    &#8212; vise·like \-&#716;l&#299;k\ adjective

Main Entry: 2vise
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): vised; vis·ing
    Date: 1602
    : to hold, force, or squeeze with or as if with a vise

My one vice is my vise collection, there's a vise like grip from this vice and this vice used to vise my other vices. The vice has vised before and the vice is currently vising other vices.

18. freezerburn

freezerburn

Thought I'd chime in so here's my oxy acetylene welder. The wheels are 100+ years old and I made the tires out of 1" thick rubber out of a remnant pile at the rubber supply. The box pivots on an axis on either end so it stays level when the cart is pushed around. Very fun project. Complete with pin striping:) Here you go folks-[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. freezerburn

freezerburn

Your standard hood spring removal tool- Btw the brass thing in the last pic was an epic fail.. no brass for this tool folks! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Outside of the US, the only accepted spelling is viCe for both meanings. ViSe is an Americanism.

See the attached website for further reference:

http://grammarist.com/spelling/vice-vise/

So you're both right. Or Vice Versa. :)

21. olcarguy

olcarguy

Glad I didn't say anything about colour/color of my other vice/vise....whiskey.....or is it whisky....lpl

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Well it's a good one and we're keeping it. :D

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And we are keeping are vices too.

24. bct

bct

love that torch cart. enough room to haul around a spare when one gets low too. beauty.

25. That would be OUR vices/vises or is it your vices/vises?

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

But what about the tires/tyres that we carry around in our trunk/boot, not to mention all the wrenches/spanners we have?

Someone should print up a "translation book of automotive terminology" for the speech challenged hotrodders out there. :D

27. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thx

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess I had better got back to grammer school.

29. Need to enroll in 'Huked on Foniks'.... LOL...

30. Zackly noamsaiun