Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Holy $#!+ - I Didn't Think I Could Pull This Off - But I Did...Elvis, Sinatra, Now Yours Truly Cob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

I have owned 2 of these and worked on a whole lot of them. I was a mechanic for a guy who used to run a business called Desert Classics which restored these cars. Out of all the cars the Ford motor company produced, these are truly the best cars they ever built from a mechanical standpoint. As long as a 368 isn’t stuck and the turbo drive hasn’t been ran low or burnt out due to misadjustment, they will work.

Attached Files:

2. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

That is true, but sometime during the 56-57 year changeover the a/c nostrils were deleted and moved to dual ports placed behind the grille and it was due to the air conditioning getting a cooler, denser ambient air charge. This was my 57, c56r3756 with a/c, no quarter nostrils

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

This is XF 9501. Elmer Rohn’s test mule. Unfortunately, it was scrapped once production began.

4. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

There is one rollin around here in Olympia But never see it parked so I could study it. Wayyyy Cool! Tim

5. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Awesome looking car. I can remember as a kid our family Dr. making house calls in one. Always thought they were a cool looking car.

6. Do I also understand it correctly, that 1956 was the last year of the "Continental" and that 1957 was the beginning of the "Lincoln Continental"?

7. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

This was technically 1958 with the slant light 131 inch wheelbase Continentals. These cars shared the same body with the Capri and Premiere and the continental marque was reabsorbed into Lincoln. What you might be thinking of is all 56 and 57 continentals except the few test mules had a vin that started with “C56” and there are conflicting stories as to when production actually started. Some base it of 444 of them built but when the change finally occurred some argue there were 572 1957s. If you are going off 572, vin 3418 was the first 57 and the last was 3989 when production ended in may 1957. Of course, you can get away with calling a 59 or 60 a continental because technically there are two Mark 3,4 and 5 designations. Don’t ever try to argue this point with anyone of the Lincoln-continental owners club because it triggers them like things trigger the cancel-culture movement. Kidding, but not kidding. I did this once with a guy who owns a blue Mark II convertible, then challenged the authenticity of his convertible which has many unanswered questions and some answers which are less than lackluster. He doesn’t like me too much lol.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    302GMC, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Continental Division (1956–1959)[edit]
    Main article: Continental Mark II
    [​IMG]
    1956 Continental Mark II
    For the 1956 model year, Ford Motor Company created the Continental Division, slotted above Lincoln as the flagship marque of Ford Motor Company. At its launch, Continental introduced the Continental Mark II as its model line, intended as a successor to the 1940–1948 Lincoln Continental personal luxury car. Offered as a two-door hardtop coupe, the Mark II broke from a number of American styling precedents of the time. While fitted with whitewall tires, the exterior was fitted with minimal chrome trim on the body sides; tailfins were left off of the body completely. In place of the bumper-mounted spare tire of the original Lincoln Continental, the trunk lid of the Mark II showcased the design element, with a large imitation spare tire bulge (which fit over the actual spare tire inside the trunk). The Mark II was largely hand-built, with extensive quality testing done to each engine and transmission before leaving the factory.

In place of establishing a separate sales and service network for Continental, the Mark II was marketed through Lincoln (the Mark II used a Lincoln engine and transmission). At $10,000 in 1956 (equivalent to $94,039 in 2019[12]), the Mark II was the most expensive car produced by an American automaker at the time, rivaling the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud in price.

On July 18, 1956, the Continental Division was integrated into Lincoln which continued to manage the Continental brand as a separate marque.[15]:281 During the 1957 model year, the Mark II was withdrawn, largely as a consequence of its hand-built construction; each unit was sold at a loss of over $1,000. Subsequently, the 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham overtook the Mark II as the most expensive American-produced vehicle.

For 1958, as part of a mandated $4000 reduction in price, Continental adopted the body of Lincoln, expanding into multiple body styles for the Mark III (the nomenclature indicating the transition). Adding a feature of the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, Continental adopted a retractable rear window across every body style (including convertibles) with a reverse-slant rear roofline. For 1959, the Mark III was renamed the Mark IV, becoming the Mark V for 1960.[15]:331,337,414, 582–583

In 1959, the Continental marque was formally brought to an end within Lincoln; for 1960, the Mark V was brought to production as the Lincoln Continental Mark V, ending the model cycle alongside the standard Lincoln model line.

Joe Blow, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  9. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Beautiful car. Looks like one I saw in Vancouver, Wa a few years ago.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  10. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

http://www.joesherlock.com/Elvis-Mark2.html

Unfortunately, this is an internet regurgitation. Everything up to this point that I have written has been off the top of my head. Anyway, his car is vin 3286, a late production 1956 car. As I mentioned, sometime around when his car was built, all ac production cars had the quarter nostrils deleted.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. One of the few cars that looks perfect with the original ride height. No need to lower it or only minimal.
    That black one is heinous.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hamb friendly? Nothing a wheel change could fix

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  13. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

With used, dinged hubcaps at $2000 a set, his billet wheels are probably a nice alternative to that.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and nochop like this.
  14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A few more pics ......

D78831D8-CFE5-4F73-AFA4-38BCA8F92E43.jpeg 0D60B7A8-7D6E-43B4-8A02-B3238C66DFAD.jpeg
    673E8702-5D78-481A-9F28-B9CF7927814A.jpeg

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Grille is a very intricate piece.....

D4FF9408-3754-45F2-BE94-41E00F68FFAA.jpeg

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Those HVAC controls are evocative of airliner throttles and mixture controls. Neat

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That picture looks like it may have been taken in Kingman Arizona, not far from Ford's test track in Yucca.

18. Son, you’re gonna drive me to drinkin if you don’t start driving that hot rod Lincoln.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Now former Ford test track, belongs to Chrysler now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. In the mid 80’s there were three of those beauties in the south side of chicago on stony island ave. at a gas station or repair shop. I was mesmerized when i saw them as a teen ager. It took me a while to find out what they were tho.

21. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

There is one of these in the museum in Williams, IA also.

22. haychrishay

haychrishay

Sound like a good time call me

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hi Chris Sent you a PM

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. oldolds

oldolds

Just saw this one posted elsewhere. I have not read all the posts in this thread. Hope it was not already posted.
    lincoln.jpg

25. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nice to look at but you can't drive a car that low with that long a wheelbase,
    unless it has you know whats!

loudbang likes this.
  26. 39 Chev

39 Chev
    from Minnesota

Original poster's car...beautiful! (Not feeling the orange one above, though).

302GMC, Tony Martino and loudbang like this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Some of you have asked for a update.
    This will be a longer term project.
    Right now just sitting in my shop.
    Plan is in the fall to get it on the hoist, pull the fuel pump, Master Cylinder, Power Steering Pump, and replace. Determine if the trans works as it should or need to be rebuilt which involves pulling the engine/ trans together.
    So for now here is a pic in my shop waiting for fall.

9C7AB27D-516A-4FBD-84F9-811F92B36494.jpeg