Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Holy crap what have i gotten myself into?? Bowling green bound.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enloe, Apr 12, 2012.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well we went to Bowling Green last week and it was awesome. I have a thread started that has about 500 pics. The boy and I were bummed about not getting to take the wagon. Now it is time to huddle up and start getting ready for next year.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Way cool....Best way there is, to get the youngsters into the trade !!! AND, they will have their "sweat equity" in it as well.

4TTRUK

3. enloe, be so kind to add a link to click on here, I've seen some of Bowling Green, but like to see your shot especially!

Greets, Carsten

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well now that cooler weather is here we have started back working on the wagon. Monday we ran all new hard lines and put new soft lines on and new wheel cylinders on the front. The rear ones had already been changed.

I need to get some tires this week and install my new radiator, hoses and thermostat. Then we will run new hard fuel lines and clean the tank out and hopefully it will motivate down the road under its own power:)

P.S. I STILL WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BETTER TAILGATE IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ONE.

6. davidh73750

davidh73750

since you started this thread I picked up a 61 impala. I got a 61 impala 4 door sedan. its a 283 power pack car(4bbl dual exhaust) with only 24k but a rod through the pan. I tracked down the 2nd owner from the 80's to confirm a few things. wish it was a wagon but like all the 61'[s.
    needs 2 rear floors and a 5x5 patch in trunk. I have a 283 short block almost thinking of putting duntov style 283 cam and rest of the original stuff back in.

Attached Files:

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That is too cool.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

Keep your eyes peeled on the tailgate. Regular searches on ebay,hemmings,etc.,etc, will be your best bet. Some years ago
    I finally found a decent one for my 63 Belair and stored it at work.
    That Christmas there was a NOS outer skin under the tree that my
    wife found on Hemmings for $200...

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I check everyday. iI will find one one of these days. I usually have 4 or 5 adds in the misc. for sale section and that is one of the things I usually list for to trade for.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well no luck on finding some used tires so far. i happened to think about a guy I do some trading with and I remembered he had some slots a while back so it is off to try to trade with him today. Wish me luck:)

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

well those wheels are gone:(

Back to the drawing board:)

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

hit up local craigs list. Are your wheels ok? pull aparts often have wheel sales you can sure go find some s10-80's camaro wheels. If I'm at the flea market and see half ass wheels I buy them for rollers. I actually try to have an extra set of 4 14-15' gm 4 3/4 bolt patterns on hand since I'm always getting dilapidated vehicles

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

14. dmikulec

dmikulec

Any local scrap dealers nearby? I pass one on the way to work every day and he sets good wheels and tires aside to sell all the time.

Dave

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I had plans of checking out scrap dealer here in town tomorrow. I have a corvette ralies on there right now. I have a neighbor who has a old police car at his house that has pretty good tires that i believe he is going to part out i am just waiting on him to get back from moultrie georgia.

16. davidh73750

davidh73750

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Those are cool. I am hoping to drive it around a little. Before we put floors in. I am just not ready to pony up the money for new tires and then send it to the body shop in a couple of months.

18. I thought this post was about getting married or having a kid haha

19. davidh73750

davidh73750

I saw these at chickasha swapmeet one set $400 other 375 14's but they look really cool on 60's cars. I was debating how they'd look on my 58 wagon.;) I know they'd look cool on the 61 wagon

Attached Files:

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have 2 14x6 wheels like those and when we get the car painted i will probably get some tires and run them on the front.

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well it is time to get at it again. I have not done anything to the wagon for quite a few months. I had surgery in january and I have been released to be able to lift over 20 pounds. I go back to work tomorrow.

I got my flier for the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green and I realized I need to get back to work. I priced my front wheels the other day and I priced them way higher than they were worth and damned if he didn't buy them. oh well back to the drawing board.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We made a lot of progress today. We put in the new radiator,hoses ,and thermostat. We tried to charge the battery but it did not hold a charge. Next we will run a new fuel line and clean the tank. I also hope to have some tires this week. I broke all the bolts loose and did the heavy lifting and checked the bolts after they were put in. I let my son do all the rest of the tightening and loosening.

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sounds good! Keep at it! 1961 chevys are so cool.

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

THANKS, we are chipping away at it, we have to run new hard line between the tank and the fuel pump. We also need to clean the tank and put a new sending unit in. Then I need to get it to my friend and put the new floor pans in.

It will still have a truckload of "patina".

25. davidh73750

davidh73750

I forgot back in the fall I picked up a pair of wheels at pull apart that held air, 14" black steelies for $15.
    what you using for fuel line? I like to duplicate the originals with aluminum. Easy to bend and will never rust.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

we are using 3/8 I believe it is steel. It looks like it has a black coating. That is ok i believe I will just end up using 2 of my rallies to begin with...

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well Crap it has turned off cold again. I am ready for some REAL Springtime weather.

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well worked on the wagon again yesterday my daughter helped me today. She was the "tool hander". She did a good job. I am trying to get the tank out I got the strap loose that holds it but I still can't get it out. It has some kind of panel right behind the wheelwell that is screwed in place and seems to be holding the tank in. I soaked the screws down with P.B. Blaster and we will se what happens tomorrow.

Attached Files:

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I went and picked up 2 tires for the back of the wagon today I am going to run them on Black Corvette Rallies and I am going to run 2 15x6 Ansen Top Eliminators on the front.

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.Nice to have the kids along for the journey.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo