Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Holy Collector Batman!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, Mar 22, 2016.

1. unkamort

unkamort

Ron Funkhouser and oldsjoe like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is truly amazing but I despise the use of the word hoarder in a case like this.
    The man was a collector, he dedicated his life to his passion and hobby.
    The word hoarder is most often associated with people who won't throw away anything and have piles of worthless stuff including trash.
    Hoarding is a mental illness.
    The word and description does not apply in a case like this, I wish people would learn to make that distinction.

3. Digging the church lady as well....
    Lots of models, diecasts, promos and so on... great collection. Hardly a hoarder, everything I see is meticulous.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Best solution... give it to the Smithsonian! Gary

5. 2935ford

2935ford

and nobody knew!

6. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

Wouldn't that be fun to spend a couple of days checking them all out!!

firstinsteele and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. 50 Fastback Fleetline

50 Fastback Fleetline
    from Milan, TN.

Why would they sell any of it, the church should keep as a museum and charge admission, that way the church would have an endless source funding.

Ron Funkhouser and Moondog13 like this.
  8. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Im sure the utilities, property taxes, insurance and any labor cost will far outweigh any monies brought in as a museum.

9. I guess I may end up like that, too.... Picture 5030.jpg

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Ron Funkhouser and oldsjoe like this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sounds like a really great guy.

Ron Funkhouser and turboroadster like this.
  11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Auction time my guess. That collection took a lot of passion by that man for sure.

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There was a man, who never lost his inner "little boy"!
    Men grow old, but we rarely grow up!
    What a neat guy.
    KK

13. i commonly refer to my collection as a hoard. the term doesnt bother me. Of course the TV shows like to show the trash & vermin infested places. Certianly its a mental thing. not much different from the folks who need to have a well manicured lawn or the crazy cat lady ect. That dont mean its a negative thing. Just different strokes for different folks. A long as you own your stuff and your stuff doesnt own you it,s Ok.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I must show this to my wife, I only have a few hundred model cars and she calls me a hoarder!

bobss396 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thanks for sharing the story, I knew of an old fellow where we live with a similar yet smaller collection. I'm passing down my old childhood "Tonkas & Nylints" on to the kiddos, a lot of dirt has been moved with a couple of them. In the world before video games one would use something called imagination. The fellow the video was about must have had one of large proportion collecting small sizes yet large in number, cool collection & a car guy for sure.......Flux image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Ron Funkhouser and oldsjoe like this.
  16. A guy spends his life collecting,
    1 car for everyday of his life.
    Shame to Scatter it to the wind.

Couldn't imagine living life having no blood family

17. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

It is quite the collection of a man who was definitely passionate about his hobby. Lucky for him the church was and is there for him. Joe

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hoarder? By definition, no. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), quite possibly.

19. It appears to me this man enjoyed life one day and one car at a time. I've had people ask me how many cars I want. I tell them, I only want one. Then I say,I only want one of each make model and year. I put family and Faith first. But I love our hobby! One of the best parts is the Hunt. Nothing wrong with collecting as long as you stay with in your budget, and keep it FUN.I also never get rid of stuff because I'm very sentimental . The longer I have anything the more I like it! My Rods, Toys, wife and kids ha. ha. I don't like it when people are called hoarders, or crazy for not selling their stuff, That may mean a lot to them. This man had a lot of cool cars. And each one had a cool memory to go with it. You shouldn't sell memories if you don't need too. just say en. Ron... 017.jpg 004.jpg 007.jpg

flux capacitor, kiwijeff and oldsjoe like this.
  20. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Perfect example while you are still kicking around. Get rid of your crap and make plans for the good stuff. If there are no plans it will be a burden to your family to deal with. More than likely your family will get pennies on the dollar at an auction or worse cost them money to get it hauled off. Have a real look in the mirror and get rid of all of those "Gonna fix up one day" projects that will never happen. I have seen it time and time again.

Truck64, flux capacitor and kiwijeff like this.
  21. My grandson tells me Poppy, some day I want a Hot ROD and some old toys like yours. I tell him Eli someday these will be yours. But for now I still enjoy playing with them and you. I will never stop playing and having fun with the kids and Grandkids. And there will always be the next project. I Have had loads of fun with all my cars and I'm still driving my Vette from high school. My latest is a 27 Drag coupe. There will always be one more, just because they are FUN! And my whole family LOVES them as much as I do too! Ron...

22. We should never 20160114_140833_001.jpg STOP PLAYING!!!!

oldsjoe likes this.
  23. unkamort

unkamort

Gentlemen... I apologize for (as pointed out) the inappropriate heading for this thread. It was never my intention to diminish this Gentleman, or his accomplishment in any way. After consulting with the Po-Ba I have been advised that there is a TV show that depicts some folks that have some sort of mental disorder and don't take out their garbage... for a long time. This goes a long way to explain why I don't watch TV. I was not aware of the current cogitation of the verb. My enthusiasm was based on my love for my own (small) collection, and the old saying "He who dies with the most toys wins".

24. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

25. I know one guy, has so many model car kits, his main worry is floor load.

26. You need not to apologize! I get a little defensive sometimes on this subject. Not you but others have said , at times, things like that old dude down the lane has this old car that he will never do anything with ,so he should sell it, so someone else can enjoy it. The thing is he may have a DREAM of building it. And for some reason , Life got in the way and it never happened. He enjoyed it for the dream, and may have just enjoyed looking at it. I think there's more then enough stuff out there to find, that we need not to worry about other peoples junk. The other thing that I don't get is why some people don't understand peoples collections. I'm not a collector, I know people who are and, its cool . They try to find each color make and model of something. I say I'm not a collector , I just a never get rid of my stuff. The last thing, I hate the saying.[he who dies with the most toys wins] We live our lives one day at a time, and should enjoy each one. And I hope you find something cool today that brings a smile to your face. They say confession is good for the soul, So I should be good to go. ha. ha. Ron...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    55 Ford Gasser and oldsjoe like this.
  27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

To that point Ron just because someone has a what we perceive as a project may not be a project at all! It may be the condition the said person wants to remember, what ever it is they possess. Be it an automobile, a guitar, camera, toy toaster doesn't matter what. It's theirs and they want to have it as it is. Doesn't hurt to ask if they would want to sell but if the answer is no, well it's no. But I have found if a person doesn't' want to sell a certain item sometimes a trade will get them release whatever from their possession. Lets call it an equity trade. You have something they want or need and they have something you want or need so a swap is the perfect deal. No money needs to be exchanged. If you try that approach sometime you may be surprised what can be worked out! Joe

28. My thoughts, as well.

Ben