Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Holman-moody the history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by frank spittle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'm headed to H/M on Friday and its all your fault. Headed there from Myrtle Beach in the a.m. All the discussion on here has me taking the trip that I always seemed to put off. Thanks guys I can't wait.

2. genuine jack

genuine jack

not under a rock , but maybe under a cover in the HM shop . and yes , as far as i know the honker is the real deal , as most or all of it was still extant in 1990 , as per my photos .
    i don't regard computers like "every other piece of equipment" . i understand mechanical equipment , but computers are the work of the devil , and i'm convinced they're going to kill us all eventually .

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. genuine jack

genuine jack

thanx for the info on the "lonestar" and the pic of shelby's mclaren ford . that's a beautiful car !
    so you're tom in detroit . and we also have tom s. in tenn. and now tommyd [above].
    so i guess that makes me tom in keasbey... uh , make that JACK in keasbey . where is keasbey ? don't ask ...you can't get here from there ...not that you'd want to . very few people speak english around here !!

jack in keasbey :)

4. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

What 427 is supposed to be in the Honker II ? The injector tubes are so far apart it looks like an SOHC.

5. skywolf

skywolf

I believe the Honker II was powered by a 351 and later 377 cubic inch Windsor small block.

6. genuine jack

genuine jack

ANOTHER tom ?
    yes , like skywolf said , the honker was always powered by an enlarged small block ford . as far as i know it never had a big block in it .

tom from keasbey :D

7. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Here are a couple of pictures from the H&M hanger circa 1970. Look closely and you just might see the Honker II waiting to dust off its racing shoes.

[​IMG]

As you may know, the hanger is where Fomoco kept a number of its "death cars". Fireball's roasted World 600 Galaxie was kept there. Les Ritchie's Mustang; Hangsden's MkII and the Kwech T/A Boss 302 that killed a spectator at MIS in the first race of 1969. That's the car under the tarp in this hanger shot.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what the story was on the #5 MkII or some of the other cars in the shots.

8. skywolf

skywolf

I wonder if Ken Miles' J Car in is there somewhere too ? Great pictures. Thanks.

9. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

That Shelby/McLaren is currently owned by Joe DeLoreto in SoCal. Here's a picture of the car and the engine in it on the dyno.

The pictures of the engine on the dyno must be on the home computer so I'll post them later if wanted.

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  10. genuine jack

genuine jack

yes , i'd like to see those pix if you can find them . thanx mike .

i came across a reference to another shelby car . i believe it was a can-am car , but it's been a while , and i can't remember what it looked like - only the name . it was called the "shelby king cobra terry T-10" . i think this may be the one i saw on barrett-jackson a few years ago . does anyone know anything about this , or have any pix ?

jack

11. skywolf

skywolf

[​IMG]

The Shelby King Cobra/Terry T10 was designed by Len Terry who had worked for Lotus and Eagle. It qualified 13th at Riverside in 1967 and only lasted three laps with Jerry Titus driving. This was its only appearance in Can Am.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  12. genuine jack

genuine jack

thanx , skywolf . the car looks a lot like shelby's cooper king cobras from 3 years previous .

13. genuine jack

genuine jack

thanx , mike . that really is a beautiful car .

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Guys, I stopped by H/M yesterday on my way home to Indy on vacation. Got to tell you what an amazing group of guys they have there. Lee has you enter through the shop not the front showroom like most places. When I walked in I think I got a glimpse of what heaven is going to be like for us FORD guys. They shared old stories, let us walk around the shop liked we worked there, and let me take all the pics I wanted. It was like rolling into the local car show and shooting the breeze with your pals. Of course we HAD to pick up some cool t-shirts, a jacket and a couple of H/M plates for the hot rods! Thanks to everyone at H/M for making an old guys day! This should be a MUST do on everyones bucket list. Tom.

15. genuine jack

genuine jack

hi tom -
    i guess it's safe to say a lot of us envey you . i hope you'll post some photos if you saw any interesting cars .
    what do those HM jackets look like , and how much do they cost - if you don't mind my asking ?

jack

16. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

C5HM-10047 at Daytona 1965.
    That's fabled H&M wrench, Freddie McCall on the right.

[​IMG]

17. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Jack, Shop away: http://www.holmanmoody.com/orders.html

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man if that ain't eye candy I don't know what is! I've known about HM for years but not the breadth of their work displayed here. Thanks so much for this thread!

Spooky likes this.
  19. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Here are some Mustang shots. Anybody know the connection between all three images and H&M (If any)? (Fun facts quiz)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank will be responsible for the winning prizes (HA!)

20. genuine jack

genuine jack

I DO !! I DO !!

but i'm afraid i'll have to disqualify myself, as i read about this in your mustang book , and we discussed it over on randy's .
    and besides , frank will probably skimp on any prizes . :p:D

jack

21. genuine jack

genuine jack

thanx for the link , john . some of those things are reasonably priced , while others are , well , a bit "pricey" - at least for me ... in my current situation .
    but i do have a couple of HM shirts and several hats , as proven by the first pic - below . i've had that particular hat for about 15 years , and though a bit faded , it still looks good ... but [and don't tell him this] it didn't come from lee .
    and i couldn't resist posting a pic of my first car . yep , that's the ol' genuine one , his-own-self . wouldn't one of those "competition proven" decals look good on that front fender ? my mom managed to slow me down just long enough to snap the pic . notice those little white thingies just ahead of the rear wheel . that's the fred flintstone inspired "motorvational" system and brake . i'm sure those white thingies revved to about 7,000 RPM the second i heard the camera click , and i roared off to rejoin whatever race i imagined i was in .
    also notice the chemical milling to which the car's body had been subjected . i was way ahead of my time in the use of light weight bodies - tho from the look of my driving suit-along about the seat area- i may have been carrying some extra "ballast" [:eek:] ; no doubt for better traction . and don't ask about my secret fire suppressant system . it was primitive , but i eventually outgrew it .
    and one final note - i've always felt that joe weatherly was copying my style in footwear !!

zzzzzzzz13-7-27-01.jpg

zzzzzzzzzz90.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2011
    Spooky likes this.
  22. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Ha! Bet you still had the pedal car. Probably worth a mint.

23. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

My contribution to ths H-M thread. Picture is not a good one, but the exhaust manifold definitely had a "hmm" logo right in the middle. Beautiful, but a BITCH to install!! Difficult to get to the exhaust bolts on the underside. I think I still have the box wrench that we ground down specifically for these manifolds! Pix from 1966.

Attached Files:

24. genuine jack

genuine jack

i wish i did .

just as an aside , that car is based on a '38 lincoln zephyr . by sheer coincidence my parents owned a '38 lincoln zephyr around that time . and no , the pedal car wasn't a "promo" given away when you bought a new zephyr . our 1/1 was bought as a well used car , and the pedal car was given to me by friends of my parents . it was also "well used" by then , and i believe it was they who were responsible for mother nature's chemical milling job ........ not that anyone cares :) .

25. genuine jack

genuine jack

i'm guessing that was a ski boat , as a race boat likely would've had headers .
    big john was a boat fan , while godfather ralph was into air planes . i remember the 427s were very successful in both ski and race boats in the '60's . there used to be [ maybe still is ] a boat race called the "salten sea 500" . i believe it was held on an oval course off the california coast . i seem to remember that fords [ and almost surely HM fords , at that ] were very successful in this race for several years . i believe cale yarborough entered it one year .

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I never even heard of this truck but would love to learn more. Do you know if there is a website or any place that might have pics, specs etc?

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I saw this and remembered a race that I saw as a little tyke. Lorenzen was leading the race and Johnson had to pit for gas. After he came back out he was wailing on it to catch up, passing on the outside, probably had his foot thru the radiator. Lorenzen blew a tire and went across the finish line almost backwards, but he won. I wonder if this is the same race?

28. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Here you go....
    The engine has a then popular Lucas timed mechanical fuel injection unit. It was fun to run.

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I can not identify the particular track, but I can describe classic fairground style dirt racing at it's finest. Someone else tell what that piece of mesh was there for.

I'll say it again: There is nothing today that even closely resembles true automobile racing.

Tom S. in Tennessee

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

After posting above, I felt compelled to come back and state that despite all the mega buck HM&S motorsport involvement history, the true actual competitive flavor caught in Claymores image was the real bread and butter behind HM&S, FMC, and automobile racing at large. This was the basis of it all, and is the platform used that sold automobiles to the masses on Monday.
    Trust me, this was as good as it will ever get !
    Tom S. in Tn. (again)