Register now to get rid of these ads!

holly vs. others

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

does a carb with mechanical secondary like a holly, typical have worse gas mileage than one with vacuum secondaries?

2. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Mechanical secondaries get worse gas mileage. In theory, mechanical secondaries allow fuel to be dumped in before the engine really needs it all. Vacuum secondaries rely on engine vacuum to tell the secondaries when to open. That being said, it really depends on the application and I prefer mechanical. <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

3. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I would be inclined to say yes, if the engine is built aggressive enough and you womp on it its all 4 barrel right now and it will pull rather than bog. If its a mild street engine it most likely will fall on its face.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Not necessarily. There are too many other variables to answer the question.

Maybe if you could tell us what it is you're working on...all the details...

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

It all depends on how far you push the "go fast" pedal. Not so much to do with the carb itself. N.N.

6. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

it is a 300hp/327 out of a 62 impala that has been bored .40 it has an unkown mild cam and holly carb w/ double hump head(which i dont know what they are either). i am going to pull numbers off of the carb to find the cfm rating. this thing will fly, but gas milage sucks... i know cant have your cake and eat it too. this is a long way from my mopar inline 6 with 95 hp

7. mopar210

mopar210

lets see....... want to fast -"check" ...... runs like a "bitch" - check ...... poor fuel milage ???? sorry , i must be buzzed .

Attached Files:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

On Holleys Anouther a thing to consider is a lot of mech 2ndaries are on double pumpers, which on acceleration give more gas due to the extra accelerator pump. I think that has to do with not having enought vacumn to opperate the second pump properly

really the deciding factor should be weather you roll the petal down or mash it to the floor with mech 2ndaries, because if you hit it too fast you will decrease vacumn, and lose atomazation and siphoning of gas causing the motor to bog.

Now my daily 283 t-400 powered 81 el camino got over 25 MPG on highways and had OK acceleration with a 450 mech secondary. After i wore the butterflies out on that carb i stepped up to a 650 double pumper(cuz it's what i had) and an L79 cam and probably still get well over 20 mpg

the main thing is conservitive jetting and carb size

9. fonti

fonti

your right foot is responsible for gas mileage...

10. i like what shaggy is saying, mech. secondaries doesnt like the gas pedal to be stood on.

11. carbking

carbking

Other than Holley produced carburetors, very few with vacuum secondary operation.

Ford (Autolite, Motorcraft) 4-barrels were mostly vacuum secondary, but these were built by Holley.

Carter built a very few vacuum secondary carbs (1957~1959) for Ford and Chrysler, but gave it up as a very bad idea.

To my knowledge, Rochester has not produced a vacuum secondary 4-barrel; and I know Stromberg never did.

Many confuse "vacuum secondary" with "demand" secondary. A vacuum secondary has a vacuum diaphragm which controls the opening of the secondary valve. A demand secondary has some control (weighted offset valve, or spring loaded valve) that opens with a preset demand my the engine. These valves, while a part of the complete secondary system, are generally referred to as auxiliary valve. A demand secondary is far superior (opinion) to a vacuum secondary.

However, correctly sizing a carburetor to an engine, and calibrating the carburetor to the specific engine, transmission type, and mass of vehicle PLUS the operation of the "foot on the petal" are more important factors in fuel economy than how the secondary operates.

Jon.

12. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

100% true. Mechanical secondary carbs are usually set up with a progressive secondary linkage, you have to go about half throttle to start to get into the secondaries, so if you don't have a heavy left foot, then it shouldn't be too hard on fuel, Double pumper carbs are calibrated with a richer mixture, but that can be worked around as well. A buddy had a 351c falcon with a toploader that would get about 17mpg crusing main in town if it was driven real nice, that was with a 850 carb. It's all in the tuning of the whole engine, not just the carb.