Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hollow drive shafts and dial indicators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psych, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Psych

Psych

I'm shortening an Early Ford hollow drive shaft and changing the spline from ten to six. The spline adapter I have fits into the hollow drive shaft but is a little loose (.030). I have figgured out how to center the adapter before welding but am looking for ideas on how to hand rotate the drive shaft so it can be checked with a dial indicator. No lathes or fancy equipment here, just hammers, torches and welders. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. I have done tailshafts by fitting to trans & diff ,jacking up rear end setting up a dial indicator & getting a mate to spin rear wheel . Tack weld carefully then remove & fully weld.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Make some v blocks out of scrap and spin it around, indicate off the ends. Done it many times. Not sure how you're going to center the end, but I've done it by making a thin ribbon out of shim stock that fits between the tube and end.

4. long island vic

long island vic

take a chiesal and nick the tube every 1/4 inch or so ,,the the yoke will fit tighter

5. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

heat the inside of the tube with your torch,then throw some water on it to shrink it..

6. OldCrow

OldCrow

Shortening shaft last year for my T. runs true and no vibration.

Russ

Attached Files: