Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley Street Avenger vs Edelbrock performer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65ssnova, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

I have these two carbs, a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm and a Edelbrock Performer 600cfm. My question is which one is going to perform the best on a 355 sb chevy with 30 thousands over bore and a mild cam? Both are ready to use but im putting the 355 in my nova this week and I want to have the better of the two on, The car has a 4 speed if that changes anything and drum brakes all around.

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

I had a .040 over 350 (358) with comp 268 Xtreme Cam, Dart Iron Eagle heads, with a Weiend dual plan intake, and a 670 Avenger. The car ran great, pulled really hard with 3:25:1 gear.

You can swap the spring in the diaphram for highway cruising. I got 18-19 MPG in a pretty heavy 47 Ford Convert.

The Edelbrock is good carb, but I thought the Avenger gave the car more top end, and was really trouble free.

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I had a 500 Performer on a 305 and now have a 570 Avenger on a 327 and I like the Avenger much better. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but I never thought much of the Edelbrock.

Blue

4. i hate holleys period
    if it was MY car it would get the edelbrock and the swapmeet or garbage can would get the holley

are you running it just as a street car? then id run the edelbrock

if its gonna be a strip car run the holley

if street/strip the edelbrock

5. 57f100

57f100

I've had Edelbrocks and Holleys on different cars both without problems. In my opinion carbs are like personalities, they are different, and everyone feels different about them. What does it take to change out a carb? Like 20 minutes max? Try them both and choose which one you like best.