Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley Red fuel pump=NOISY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jun 3, 2006.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Your close, they don't give a rats ass about the "performance" part. I'm suprised we don't see more power window how-tos on here...I have a blue on my truck. Once the engine starts, I can't hear it unless I get out and walk around the back.
    I have used Holley blues (and the occasional 250 BG) all my life.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And I have one of these too, haven't used it yet. it's going on my '39 ford convert.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

I had a red one on my 35 Slantback......didn't last long but b4 it quit it was always noisy.
    I use generic (probably offshore) pumps now but it is quieter and works just fine.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why would it surprise me if HAMBers are bitching about unreliable blues because they have them mounted wrong...:rolleyes: They have always worked well for me, but then I have always mounted them below and behind the tank, like you are supposed to...

5. Blake 27

Blake 27

HPIM0036.JPG When I mounted my pump I added extra insulators where it mounts to the frame. I used exhaust hanger grommets. It's still somewhat noisy but not nearly as bad as my work truck with its' pump mounted solid.

6. Changed out the noisy Red Holley fuel pump and took Don's (Don's Hot Rods) advice and mounted a Carter, Wow, what a difference, so much quieter, thanks Don for recommendation, it was spot on!!
    This is the new Carter, really like it (from my avatar build thread).
    carter.jpg

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be interested in what failed on the Holleys, especially the old ones. I had a blue fuck up. It ran but didn't put out more than an impotent dribble. A Sat night, no spares to found, nobody in the pits was even a lick of help. I dropped the bottom off to find that 2 out of 3 metal vanes were stuck in there slots from a minor trace of moisture. I polished all of them with a piece of 600 sandpaper I had in my track box, voila. Full pressure again. The whole ordeal took about 20 minutes and I made 1st round, just in time to break out by well over a tenth. Seems it was weak before it failed and the correct pressure showed me I was lacking top end I didn't know it had. Damn, I used to love bracket racing.

The point to all that rabble is that such a simple fail can turn out to be what we might call doodly-squat, as in no big deal. Since that time there were a few other instances that involved Holley blue and red pumps and job 1 was pull the vanes and polish the sides. 3 screws and there it is. Oh yeah, a fuckin 10 year old thread? Gotta love the HAMB...

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I killed a blue once when I was young and stupid. Pump was running, nothing showing on the gauge, so I kept running the pump. Finally clued in, no gas in the tank:oops:. Put some gas in it, pump wouldn't work. Gee, what a piece of shit.:rolleyes: The carters are a little quieter. I have a couple of those here too. Always preferred the Holley blues. Like other guys have said, I actually LIKE the sound.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. I am thinking of doing the same thing. My holley has been on for 12 years, I do not mind the noise, I just wonder if it is going to give up soon.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I guess I'll get a Carter 4600, 11 year old post re vibed told me all I was going to post on! Hamb is good.....

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I got one in my shoebox and one on the shelf, acquired the both of them brand new in 72' I think for making a hood scoop for a 413 cross ram in a 63 dodge glass hood..Know what the gph and psi is?

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't think they push a lot of gas, I am using one on the '39 because its period-correct (ohhh, theres a dirty word...) for the build. Went to a fair bit of hassle to get this. Thanks Hank! Needless to say, the crimp-on connector must go.
    DSCF0189[1].jpg

Hankster32 and wraymen like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

I put an Edelbrock pump on a build recently . Nice piece very quiet. EDL- 1791 from Summit .120gph at 6 1/2 psi no regulator required.

14. Old thread and I didn't read all the posts. I used the Holleys on my Mopars back in the day and I have one on my Austin. I use an inline before the filter and a cartridge one after, probably over kill but I've had good luck with them. I have some old ones that I'm thinking about rebuilding or at least giving a good cleaning. Any one had luck doing that?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

The vanes usually stick after sitting. They sell a rebuild kit. Have rebuilt the blue pumps.
    Had good luck racing with a black pump,kept up on a 10 second Chevelle and a 9 second Plymouth/Willys Gasser. This is on the way to a 9. faded memories.jpg 80 pass at Bowling Green. Hot Rod reunion.

falcongeorge, seb fontana and wraymen like this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This old thread came up on my feed...
    When the new coupe was finished 2 years back,.... we used the notorious Holley Red..again(I must love punishment!)
    On the first start up.. the Holley red died...zip,zap,nada.....Removed it,inspected it and the vanes were rusted shut in the unit.This was a brand new Pump.Candyman had another in stock...replaced it and on start up...... the second pump sounded like an mammal in it's death throws.
    It lasted a whole week...kept dying on initial shakedowns around town.It became to frustrating....got home one day after 2 failures.... ripped it off and replaced it with a Aeromotive pump I had on the shelf.
    Still noisy.. but not like it was being strangled.
    I run a solid 7 pds. to the carbs and it has run flawlessly every since..About 2 years now.
    Yes, an Aeromotive is 2x the cost..... but 1000x less headaches.
    16177556_10154437694827809_4698631876455547538_o.jpg

Finn Jensen likes this.
  17. Your coupe is so bitchin'!

You would figure a company like Holley would
    rectify a problematic product like that.

seb fontana and Jeff Norwell like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My gauge shows 6 psi but don't know volume; maybe 40 gph? Look bigger than a facet pump though...There are some gold ones [$$ wise} on ebay..

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The information is probably out there somewhere. Something like 40 gph sounds reasonable.