Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley low pressure reg woes #12-804

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Oct 12, 2010.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

So I have this SBC and new manual fuel pump and a pair of 97's. I bought the low pressure Holley regulator to bring psi down to 2.5 lbs. I installed the new reg and a new Autometer guage. When I fired it up it showed 9 lbs on the guage. So I thought they packaged the box wrong and got a high pressure reg in the low pressure box. I zipped down to my local speed shop and got the rebuild kit with both springs in the kit. Red for low plain for high. I installed the red spring, fired up and guage said 9 lbs. I then phone Holley's tech line and guy says sbc pump putting out to much pressure. So I go find the crusty 20 year old pump I threw in the scrap heap, clean it up, put it on and voila 1lb on guage. I adjust it up to 2.5 pounds and clean my hands. Cool. Walk back over and looked again, 9lbs.

So, I take the reg apart to see if it is all clean and looks good. I put it together and fire it up and 2.5 lbs. Then I adust it up just to see if I can adjust it back down and no way it will go down.

I gonna quit working on cars and take up knitting.

Anybody help me?

2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Sounds like a stupid question I know - but are you sure you have it connected corectly? In located at the bottom, out on one of the sides of the T?

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Yes, the bottom in, one side to fuel block the other side to guage.

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

bump for the morning crowd....

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I would check the output with another gauge. I had a similar problem with mine and ended up taking everything back to the parts store and started over again. This time with the two spring kit and another gauge. This time it worked and I haven't had a problem.

One of the things that I did find out after talking to the Holley tech guy was that the only difference between the low and higher pressure regulator is the spring.

6. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I'm very interested in this problem/situation. Hope someone has the answer.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I had similar issues and it turned out to be a faulty gage. I have a Moon gage on one car and a SoCal on another car. Bad gage was a NAPA item.

8. RAY With

RAY With

This is a normal problem with the Holley regulator. The cure to your woe's is to run a 1/8 copper by pass line from the regulator to the fuel tank. This allows the regulator to unload the fuel and stabalize the pressure. Its a simple fix and one we have used 40+ years.