Register now to get rid of these ads!

holley 94 CFM rateing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kona Cruisers, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

did search just curious if any one knows the flow rate of a holley 94? Im guessing around 300 but if anyone knows the true number that be great! thanks

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. swimeasy

swimeasy

I have always heard that the 94s and the 97s both flow about 150 cfm.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i belive its 125 cfm

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

A standard 94 is rated at 185. The biggest is rated at 310 CFM. That is the rare list #3903 performance 94. There are other ratings between these 2 for the 2100 and 2110's. It is a little known fact that the Holley/Ford 94 series has a quite a varied line of similar carburetors with a lot of applications available because of so many interchangable internal parts.

1Nimrod likes this.

5. S.F.

S.F.

So, if you are going to run tri power or more, which are the best 94's to get??????

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

That depends intirely on the engine under your intake. A stock 239 flatty would run dejetted 94 trips and a built 350 Chevy could use the big boys with some stepped on work. That's why I say the 94 is a very versitile carburetor.
    the Dickster

1Nimrod and hotrodman303 like this.
  7. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

[FONT=arial,helvetica]"All 94 carbs flow about 165 - 175 cfm. The larger 1" and 1 1/16" ECG flow up to about 210 cfm"

got this from vintage speed after an email to them.
    [/FONT]

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

And what did Charlie say about the 1 5/32" model?

9. George

George

94-59 155, 94-8BA 162, ECG 185. How big is the engine?

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To pick a nit, this is the Holley AA series of carbs...94 is .94 is the bore size, so all 94's are....94. There are minor casting variations and several variant nozzle bars, but all flows are naturally pretty similar.
    Size on back, like .94, or 1, or whatever tells you size of bore, info on Left of bowl on Ford ones (59, 7RT, etc.) is the Ford part number prefix, not only designating use but leading you to a catalog char listing out all the bits making up that carb. There are a LOT of sizes in the area above .94, including some Lincoln variants, and a 7/8" .81 that Holley designated the AA-7/8, used on '39-40 V8-60's.

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..If your going to use a 94..The 2100 & 2110, I would say are the best..
    My 5cents
    Duane.

12. Paul2748

Paul2748

There is an ECW (may also be a 2110) 1 1/16 Venturi, 1 3/8 butterflies, 2 1/4 choke throat - 205 cfm. ECG- 185

13. Does anyone just have the CFM figures for all of the Strombergs? 48's?, 81's, 97's, 94's, ww's etc... ( including small holleys & fords, let alone rochesters, carters) It would be nice to know when I'm looking for a 3 carb, 4-carb or 6 carb manifold and can't afford 97's. Also 3 bolt or 4 bolt bases? I'm picking up 1 barrel strombergs around here for free. So what do they flow? Is anyone looking for them?

Someone please: Just give us a web-site or a prior thread to look at.

I keep seeing the repeat of these type of questions. Yes I COULD DO A SEARCH but beig a FNG....Could these questions be posted/aswered in TECH ?

14. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

going on a "secret project".. more of a modern BIG BIG engine meets vintage look and there might be the number 8 in the number of carbs...!

15. George

George

Can add a couple St 48 175, 81 135, LZ 160. Holly 92 142

16. BashingTin

BashingTin

Sorry to resurrect such on old thread, but I'm hoping some of you will know the answer to this question:

Are the CFM estimates of these old carbs based on the 3" of mercury depression normally used to rate 2BBL carbs? Or are these estimates based on the 1.5" mercury depression typically used for rating 4BBL carbs?

I ask only so I can make good calculations with corrections for CFM ratings.

Thanks in advance everyone for your time.

David

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

Generally one and two barrels are rated at 3 inches.I believe the conversion is about .7 ,meaning 3 2 barrels with a combined cfm of 600 equals a 420 cfm 4 barrel.
    Are the cfm ratings for these old carbs at 3 inches? Not sure but probably.And most carbs can exceed their cfm ratings in certain situations

Ned Ludd likes this.
  18. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks Truckedup! I was hoping 3" was the case. I got confirmation for this same question on another forum as well (Thanks George!!!!!).

For others that may not know about the different depression pressures they rate the CFM flow of carbs, the conversion factor is 0.7071 for a two barrel compared to a four. An example would be:

A two barrel carburetor that has an advertised factory flow rating of 500 CFM's at 3" of mercury would be equivalent to a four barrel with a factory rating of 353.55 CFM's at 1.5" of mercury (500 x 0.7071). A clearer formula would be: (CFM rating of two barrel) x (0.7071) = (Equivalent CFM flow rating of a four barrel).

So if you have say... 6 Holley 8ba 94's that flow at 162 CFM's, that would be equivalent to having a single four barrel that had an advertised flow rating of approximately 687.3 CFM's (162 x 6 x 0.7071). In theory anyway! :p

I hope that all made sense.

Take care all!

David

19. George

George

One thing that is in the Tex Smith hemi book that isn't really answered satisfactorily is...is the 3" the minimum that the old 2 bls can pull, or is it an aribtrarily set amount that might not be right in the real world. In the book it was saying @ 3" a 97 is 150 CFM, @ 1.5", like a 4 bl, it would be 229. But it doesn't say if 3" is all it can pull, or if it is actually 1.5 or somewhere in between.

20. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hi George,

What you just said I've read in Tex Smith's Early Hemi book (page 70), and what Jere Jobe says makes no sense to me. He says, "Stromberg 97's flow around 150 CFM at 3.0 inches of mercury (the value at which they were originally rated). However, Jere points out that had they been tested at the more contemporary value of 1.5-inches of mercury the rating would be higher, around 229 CFM."

The impression I get from his words is that if you DECREASE the pressure of air passing into the carb, it will flow more air. I don't think that's correct. My logic tells me that you need to INCREASE the depression (pressure) to push or pull the air through an orifice to pass more air through that orifice. I think this is a mistake in the book.

Now, to complicate things even more, one and two barrel carbs are designed to work correctly at those higher depression levels. 3" of depression "is the lowest volume of air flowing over the emulsion tube tips that will draw the proper quantity of fuel up through the main metering jets and mix it in the venturi." "Most four-barrel carburetors require only 1.5" of mercury to perform correctly." I agree with this statement from author Ron Ceridono (straight from the book page 65).

Of course I could be completely wrong. Still a fantastic Book with tons of invaluable information about the early Hemi's..... ;)

David

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Old post, but it deserves an answer. You are right, and that is why I take pretty much everything in that book with a big grain of salt. The sheer volume of pure unadulterated bullshit that gets into print in these books is astounding. I had been wondering about the pressure drop those often bandied about flow numbers were taken at, one of the guys on Speedtalk tested a holley 94 for me at 1.5" (I have a flow bench but no 3-bolt carbs. Yes, thats right, I am a dreaded "musclecar guy":p) and it flowed around 160 cfm, which indicates that these numbers are taken at 1.5".

Correction: the 94 in question flowed [email protected]"

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    dana barlow likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sending you a pm.

23. vince89

vince89

sorry to be another one reviving this old thread ;) i want to say. very helpfull and made up my decision to buy 4 holley 94,s i have seen up for sale. and Always nice to learn a thing or two

24. Butch Iuele

Butch Iuele

Hello gentlemen. My questions... I have a stock 327 with 650 cfm edelbrock carb. I'd like to put a 3x2 tripower on it without doing a cam or vales at this time. I'm looking at older holly setup with 3 holly 2110. Will they equal the 650cfm? After reading about the 3" or 1.5" mercury draw, should I get a new holly set up? I think the current set up being offered is 1000cfm. Made up from 350 cfm and 325cfm outboards. Sometimes it pays to experiment but at those prices, I'd like to try to measure twice and cut once. Any help is appreciated

25. George

George

"Carb King" said that on a 2X4 set up you probably can't get better than 80% of rated CFM due to various inefficiencies & it gets worse as the number of carbs increase.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  26. Daniel Barlow

Daniel Barlow

Old post but need answers on my current build so here goes,
    I have a Ford 390 bored 10 over with a fresh rebuild, RV cam, Elelbrock Performer RPM heads, headers, 3 inch exhaust, and a 750 CFM Edelbrock carb and Edelbrock 390 intake. If I rebuild three Holley 94 Model 59 carbs myself, can I build them to deliver the same amount of fuel or more, as the 750? I'm going for the cool factor and came across a few Holleys but I've read they are only good for about 185 cfm each and efficiency drops after you add more than 1 carb.

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  27. George

George

That's my understanding. That's how many with the multi carb intakes get away with what should be too much carb. In this case you'll probably be short. One formula suggests a 4 bl carb in the 650 range.

28. carbking

carbking

I am running two genuine Carter type AFB 625 CFM carbs on my 390 with solid linkage (both carbs work as one).

Runs like a scalded dog.

I believe three Holley AA-1 carbs will be small except for parades.

Jon.

29. Daniel Barlow

Daniel Barlow

That's kind of what I figured but wasn't sure. The 750 cfm I have now runs good. Will probably stick with that for a while. Thanks for the information.

30. Daniel Barlow

Daniel Barlow

I'll keep that in mind. I'll most likely change to a dual 4 later on if I happen across one. I'm happy with how my 750 runs, but there's always room for improvement (even of the cool factor) I guess.