Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 94 carb scoops causing fuel from vent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Jun 12, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I have the traditional carb scoops on all three 94's on the Survivor.
    I was running just my center carb till I got the bugs worked out. Fuel to #1 and #3 was blocked off at the fuel block. I had no problems .

I allowed fuel to all the carbs now, and at 45 mph or more, fuel comes flying out the bowl vent on the right side of #1, and possibly (hard to see) #3.
    Is this because the air going into the carb cannot go down the throat with the butterflies closed, so it pushes the pressure UP into the bowl through the spreaders, pushing the fuel out the vent????

Is this normal, should I run different scoops, spin them around facing rearward, or what???

Thanks,
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

3. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

mark - i run a tri-carb setup using 94's and never had the problem you describe.

are the butterflies on #1&3 open at all? does this only happen at speed? are you using a progressive linkage? if so does the problem go away when the secondary carbs open?

4. Fuel pump regulator?

You block off the outboard power valves?

5. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

At rest, there is nothing coming from the carbs. Only at speed, above 45 mph.

It is progessive linkage. 1 and 3 are not open at all unless I go past 3/4 throt. At 45 mph, they are not open.

Yes, problem goes away when they open up , past 3/4 throt.

My thinking is that the added air pressure is going into the carb, and with the butterflies closed, it is going INTO the spreader, pushing the fuel out of the vent hole. ....????

I will have to drive it with the can-type air cleaners and see if the same occurs. THat might show if it's scoop related, or carb related.

Mark

6. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Oh, and yes, the power valves in 1 and 3 are blocked plugged, as are the idel circuits, just as the old man did it in '59.

7. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Maybe try turning the scoops around so they are not getting as much air forced into them at speed? Cheaper than getting new filters, and maybe worth a try.
    Tito

8. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Tito got it. Seen it happen many times with the type of scoops you are using. Turn them around a your problem will be solved.

9. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I can try turning them around, or running the can-types that I have also.
    So it seems this is common. Is there any way, other then what we talked about, to cure this? I LIKE running the forward scoops......but I'll run the can's if I must.

Mark

10. Flatman

Flatman

I had the same problem with the front carb on my dual set up. Sticking needle valve for the accelerator pump allowing air to blow back in the carb and pushing fuel out the vent. I removed the top, reset the float level (just in case) and freed up the valve and put a new gasket under the nozzle pipe.

At least, this cured "my" problem, give it a try.

Flatman