Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 670 on 303 Olds troubleshooting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkeesey, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jkeesey

jkeesey

I'm currently selling my 53 Olds but I want the car to run right for the next guy. Right now the car will fire right up and then stumble and die rather fast. Like it is running out of fuel. I thought it was possibly the float valve so I replaced the front one and it has the same problem. If I keep firing it after a little while it will just run fine. Im planning on puling the carb this afternoon and giving it a go over but was wondering if anyone knew where I should look for the problem.

2. Being that it is cold out I would suggest looking at the choke. Sounds like the choke is not working correctly if it is an auto choke. You did not say. Or may be fuel delivery. Fuel might be going back to the tank after it sets for a while.

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

The choke is auto running on the manifold heat and right now its sitting in my 70 degree shop. I dont think it is fuel delivery issues because it has the original fuel pump and an electric to prime it.

4. flatoz

flatoz

Due to my own stupidity at overlooking things over the years thinking that, that part wasn't the issue , I now try not to assume anything!

Maybe your fuel pump is cactus. as you say, the electric primes it, which would be enough for it to fire and run then stumble as you mention, especially if your mechanical pump is not cutting in and doing its work.

Maybe try hooking up the electric pump to run continuously for a bit and see if you can get it to run. if it does...

end of the day it is air , spark and fuel you need , one of those is not getting into the engine in the right amounts.

you can check the spark

take the aircleaner off so you won't have restriction of air

then fuel...

5. jkeesey

jkeesey

I have the electric pump on with the ignition as a helper for the mechanical pump. Just in case. It really helps on startup because the fuel seems to flow back to the tank when it sits for a while. The problem is definitely inside the carb somewhere. Ignition has all been gone through and has good spark. The bowls on the carb are completely full when the car shuts down.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

what intake did you use to put that holley on the olds?my bet is on vac leak at the carb to intake mount?

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

Its on the original Olds intake.

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Sorry can't help with the running issues but I would like to know how you hooked up the linkage? Is your's an automatic?

9. jkeesey

jkeesey

Yes it is the hydramatic trans. The car came with the original carb in utterly terrible condition but it had the original linkage. I was able mount the original linkage plate under an adapter plate to bolt the holley on top. I first had a original nailhead carb that didn't need the adapter plate but I figured the holley would be less trouble. I was wrong.

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Hmmm, thanks for the info. My buddy has a 53 and is wanting to get rid of the stock carb.

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

As long as he saves that bottom plate its a fairly easy swap. The throttle link connects right on.

12. blanche303olds

blanche303olds
    from kcmo

Sorry to change the direction of your thread but do you remember where you found the adapter plate for the holley to 303?

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Normally when a car starts and shuts off, I have found there is a check ball, that is either missing or has dirt in it allowing the gas to siphon back out of the float bowl.

my .02

14. 73RR

73RR

Plenty on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Flathea...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e862fd3d7&vxp=mtr

As to the carb issue, it starts ok then dies...are you working the throttle and it dies or it just dies while attempting to idle?
    Is this a new issue with this carb? or has it worked ok prior?

15. blanche303olds

blanche303olds
    from kcmo

Thanks 73RR

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!