Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley 4010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Jun 10, 2018.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Last night I gave up on my Holley 4150 on my wagon and put on a brand new 4010 that was in my garage.

The 4150 is a ‘57 t-bird carb but it just wouldn’t stay in tune. We set it up to run great and a day later it wouldn’t run at all. We’d set the floats and the next day it would flood, I’d set the idle and the next day it would idle at 1500rpm. Some days it would act lean and some days too rich without the mixture screws moving.

Yesterday my friend Dave went over the carb with me and we had it running better than ever. After Dave left it wouldn’t run at all and was pouring gas out of the metering block. I couldn’t even drive back in to the garage.

I had the 4010 on the shelf so I bolted it on last night after the kids were in bed.
    The car runs better with the 4010 than it ever has. The only thing I adjusted was the idle screw.

So any tips or tricks to get the most out of the 4010?
    I know some hate the 4010 but so far I’m loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Are you using the cork metering block gaskets on the 4150 ?....they leak
    First year for the Holley 4 bbl. took the place of the teapot.....

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

No cork gaskets, I first used an AED rebuild kit and when I first had problems I tried Holley gaskets, they were no better.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

High mileage carbs, sometimes the throttle shaft bores in the body of the carb get wallered out and that would introduce a big vacuum leak, maybe that's the problem. WAG.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

It’s possible the throttle shafts were worn out, that might account for the crazy idle and mixture changing,
    but that doesn’t explain the gas pouring out of the metering block.

I’m wondering if it had a crack in the body. I had a crack in a torque converter once. It would randomly dump a quart of fluid, sometimes it would be fine for a week or sometimes it would do that every day.
    The carb acted similarly, issues in a totally random schedule.

6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I had to back the car out of the garage today and it started without one quick pump of the accelerator and no choke. Can’t believe how easy it starts or how smooth it idles. Now i need louder exhaust, I can barely hear it running.

7. That Holley 4010 reminds me of the old Autolite 4 barrel that looked like two of the old 2100 carbs back to back. I always had wonderful service from the two barrels and always wanted to try the 4 barrel but never came across one. I wouldn’t hesitate to run a 4010 at all, they have many features that the other Holleys don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app