Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley 2100 on banger engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Okie46chevy, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Got a 30 coupe with a banger engine. Recently got a Burns downdraft intake and have a Holley 2100 laying in the garage. Anyone use 2100 on ford banger engine? How did it do? Will be using factory gravity feed fuel system.

2. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

A gravity system may not work. The reason for the original updraught carb is to get it low enough to get a head of pressure for the feed.

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I used 2 of them on a fabricated manifold once and it really worked good. I had a fuelpump though. 2 CARB MANIFOLD.png

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have a gravity feed fuel system on my engine test stand and I've run flatheads, Early Hemi's and Olds Rocket's on it with a 3" head. I have a hard time believing that a bunch of jets (about .050") in a venturi can pull more gas than atmospheric pressure can feed through a 3/8" fuel line.

Try it; what do you have to lose? That's what we did back when we couldn't run to our computers and ask our friends.

6sally6 and Okie46chevy like this.

5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The 2100 carb is basically the same as the old 94 carb minor mods. A lot of the 2100 models had an automatic choke. I think you could eliminate that by changing the top to an older model 94 top with manual choke. The innards on these is mostly the same as a 94. Some of these require an electric pump to avoid starvation issues, some don't.

Okie46chevy likes this.
  6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran a Holley 94 on my banger powered 30 Model A pickup and gravity feed for a while but had to keep the tank mostly full or it would starve if you went up hill. I finally put a fuel pump on it but the 2100 doesn't like much fuel pressure and you should run a pressure regulator.

Okie46chevy likes this.
  7. Okie46chevy

Okie46chevy
    from Edmond

Recommend someone to rebuild it? Rather have it gone thru right before I start messing it up lol

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe this guy over on the HAMB to rebuild the carb?
    scicala

Edit: Make that the Ford Barn not here on the HAMB

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  9. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Gravity feed carbs need a larger float valve orifice than a pressure fed carb. Road angle and fuel level also have a big impact on fuel supply… we’ve all heard the stories about T’s backing up hillso_O Could always put a air pump on the tank to stabilize fuel supply…

10. I just started rebuilding 94's and 97's. Soda blast then ultrasonic clean and parts from Charlie's

11. carbking

carbking

IF one uses original factory calibrated parts:

The Stromberg type EE-1 (Ford version 97) likes 3.0 psi fuel pressure at idle. (Orifice 0.098 inch).
    The Holley type 2100 likes 4.5 psi fuel pressure at idle. (Orifice 0.082 inch).

Note the difference in pressures and orifice sizes.

As to gravity versus pressure fuel feed:

1928 4 cylinder Chevrolet (gravity) used a fuel orifice of 0.140 inch
    1971 Pontiac 455 HO (pressure) used a fuel orifice of 0.135 inch

Use non-factory sizes, and one becomes one's own engineer.

Jon

winduptoy likes this.