Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1904 on a Ford 215 Inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigblockdude402, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Ok, I've got a '52 Ford 215 Inline 6. I am interested in getting all the power I can out of it. I was curious if I could somehow put a bigger jet in the carb and it help. I've noticed 3 carb set-ups on stock motors, so I figured jetting a single carb wouldn't smother the mill with fuel. I'm pretty sure its a glass-bowl 1904. I'm just figuring this because of the pictures I've seen. Any way to ID for sure?

I've searched for information, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'm used to tinkering with chevy V8s, so this is a pretty new world for me.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

2. I have read quite a bit about these carbs but never about anyone re-jetting. I know FiddyFour has used these carbs a bit, although he's not too fond of them. Maybe he will know something. Have you checked out the Ford six performance pages?

3. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I've been searching them, but they are a little bit harder to navigate than the HAMB. I'll keep looking though.

4. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I don't recommend jetting the glass bowl carb up. I have a '53 with 215 and I had to jet mine down to stock to get it to run well. With too big a jet the gasoline will not all atomize, some will form a drop of gas and fall down into the intake. I could watch this happen and the idle would stumble every time the a drop fell, approximately once every 2-3 seconds.

5. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Ok, thanks. Did you do anything else to get a little more power out of your 215?

6. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Help! Anybody else?

7. carbking

carbking

Positive identification of the carburetor is fairly easy. You need the following:

(1) A wire brush
    (2) A pencil eraser
    (3) Good light
    (4) A good magnifying glass
    (5) A pair of "young eyes" (VERY important!)

Orient the carburetor such that you can read the word "HOLLEY" on the end of the bowl. You should see the fuel inlet to your left. The fuel inlet is screwed into a "boss" approximately 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. With the wire brush, clean the side of the boss which you can see. With the pencil eraser clean it better. Now hold the light sideways to the boss and with your young eyes, look at the boss through the magnifying glass. You should see both the O.E. part number and the Holley LIST number stamped on the boss. These identification letters/numbers are TINY! If Ford it should look something to resemble ECM-9510-A LIST R-1234-A.

Once you have the number you can acquire more information about the carburetor.

Jon.

8. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Make sure you have the correct carburetor. When I got my car it had a smaller venturi carburetor from a Falcon. The only thing I can think of to give a little more to an otherwise stock engine is to install a set of Baker high lift rockers. These sometimes come up on E-bay and on Inliners-international websites.

I am happy with the performance of my stock '53. I added overdrive with the stock 3.90 rear axle and it really drives nicely down the highway. I don't set any records when I pull away from a stoplight, but I don't clog the left hand lane either.

9. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402