Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1904/Offenhauser tri carb set up issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybillyjinx, Aug 6, 2013.

1. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

I'm driving myself nuts with this Edsel. I am totally to blame though. I fix one thing and then decide it's a good idea to screw something else up.

Here's my problem now...

I hooked up a tri-carb deal on my 223. I have one reman Holley 1904, one basically new 1904 that a friend/coworker gave me out of his scrap pile and one that I had rebuilt that I was running on the car with the stock manifold (yes, I ran it after rebuilding it too)

The one from my friend and the reman seem to work fine but the one that I had been using before is dumping fuel like a garden hose from the bowl vent tube. The float is not saturated, it floats fine in a cup of water and does not make air bubbles when held under, the pivot pin is not loose, the float adjustment is accurate and the needle valve is new. I even set the float to shut off a bit prematurely after this issue and it is still dumping fuel.

Just for fun, I pulled the vacuum plugs off (the ones at the top where the advance is hooked up on the primary carb). With the plugs out there is good vacuum from the carb that is functioning but no vacuum from the one that is dumping fuel.

Does anybody have any ideas before I have to figure out where I am getting the money for another reman carb?

2. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

I had a similiar issue with a Holley 1904 carb on my 58 Ford. The copper washer inside the carb that goes between the fuel inlet fitting and seat assembly was not getting crushed when I tightened the fuel line down. Once I tightened things up a bit it stopped overfilling.

3. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

By seat assembly I assume you mean the bracket that the float is mounted to correct?

You wanna know what I just did? I lost the screw that goes under the fuel inlet and holds that assembly to the bowl. How awesome is that? I am going to thoroughly sweep the shop first thing in the morning and sift through the piles like I'm panning for gold.

4. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Correct.

I have had luck swinging a magnet on a stick around the garage floor to find tiny lost screws. Don't know what else to say other than "that sucks".

5. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

Haha you know what I did now? I ordered a new one after sweeping the garage and sifting through the piles last night. This morning my boss came in and asked about my progress, I told him the issue was possibly what you had mentioned. He looked down at his feet and said "Copper washer, is this the one for your screw?". There was a copper washer right there on the floor, so I looked under a co-workers tool cart near where it was and there was the screw.
    I felt like a jackass.

6. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Well at least you found it.

Also, if you haven't checked out youtube yet, there is a 4 part series that someone did on rebuilding the 1904 holley carb. It is one of the first things that come up when you search for it.