Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1904 Idle Bog newbie needs help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clmarbut, Mar 6, 2010.

1. clmarbut

clmarbut

Hey all, just started reviving a 1960 F100 223 I-6 3speed my dad has had sitting in a field. The truck is running after rebuilding the carb but I can't seem to get it idling correctly. It will seem to be ok but a blip of the throttle and it falls on its face. Like its not getting enough fuel. I've toyed with the idle adjustment screw etc. and the only way to get it to rev up is to pop the throttle a few times until it gets revving. BTW, with the choke barely pulled the problem is fixed but it tends to hover at higher rpm than what it did at idle. I'm sure this will be a stupid mistake on my part, but I've soaked the whole carb in cleaner overnight and put in all new components so I'm hoping cleaning isn't the problem. My only thoughts are:

1. I used the new kits fuel inlet needle valve and kept the old fuel inlet valve seat(are they matched sets and would that cause my problem?)

2.The vacuum lines from the fuel pump to the wiper motor and distributor were leaking bad so I capped the wiper motor nipple and put a new hose on the distributor vacuum nipple(do you think I'm giving too much vacuum advance to the distributor?)

I'd really appreciate any help. I'm real excited to have this thing actually running and can't wait to roll down the street. Thanks guys.

2. stukks

stukks

Are you using the original gas tank? I recently bought a 1957 F100 with a 223 and I know I have some fine rust particles in my gas tank. I am going to pull mine out and cleaning it this weekend if I get the time.

I seem to be having the trouble that you are.

My other thought is that the butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold is either not opening far enough or to far that it is closing it again.

3. 56ih

56ih

It might be vacuum, I had the same sort of issues with the 1904 0n my IH last summer. I also had issues with the gaskets in the carb kit blocking off some of the passageways, had to do some gasket matching with an ex-acto knife. Another thing is, the surfaces between the various parts of the carb may not be true to one another-another source of a vacuum leak. There are only a few ways to adjust that carb so it's really just a matter of tinkering. Also, as a precaution go with a rebuilt fuel pump and a new filter.

Best of luck,
    Kilburn

4. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Sounds like a vacuum problem to me.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

sounds like you are learning the ins and outs of a LoadOMatic distributor.
    Ford used a diabolical vacuum retard/advance circuit on the distributor that relies on idle vacuum reading correctly at the carb. be SURE you got the correct rebuild kit for the carb, and that you're tapping the correct place on the carb for the advance.

it's diabolical until you get it set right. then, it's great.

6. 56ih

56ih

On the 1904s only have one place to tap for vacuum. They're about as simple as farms get.

7. 56ih

56ih

Lol that's a terrible post!! Still getting the hang of this new phone, please don't judge my grammar or spelling!!

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Acelerator pump set at 15 thousandth and set floats as soon as you bump down on fender gas should trickle out ,iVE SEEN MANY OF GUYS SET THE FLOATS WRONG AND ACCELERATOR PUMPS WRONG .Didnt mean to yell Just tired ,But try that first ,Thats from the rebuild sheet .Also check the filter screen under the swivel or fuel inlet .Another forgooten thing ....

9. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

What is initial timing and total timing? And yes double check floats and pump squirter.