Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1904 alternative for Ford 223 B4 I....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eeeorr, Apr 17, 2013.

1. eeeorr

eeeorr

Bust both these up with a hammer. I'm tired of fighting with them. Put a rebuild kit in one. Bought one already rebuilt. Took the best parts from both and tried to get one that works. Replace needle valve. replace washers at fuel line inlet. Test the float. Adjust the float. Stop the overflow. Now it is starving.
    I can get a centrifical advance distributor but the only carbs I read about are from junkyards. Well, guess what, they pretty much crushed everything over 10 years old in the Atlanta area and a junkyard carb with my luck would just be the same crap different shape.
    So, please gentlemen, does anyone know where I can get a card in a box ready to bolt on that fits a Ford 223? I am not gonna fight with this Edsel all spring long I will push it off a cliff.

2. I bought the two Holley 1904's that I have on my '51 from O'Reilleys. I asked for a rebuilt carb for a '54 Ford Truck with a 6 cylinder. They come remanufactured in Holley boxes. This was about 5 years ago. Seems like I paid about $150.00 each. Bolted them on and went.

3. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I've herd to reuse the old needle and seat unless its actually bad, as the new ones are of inferior quality. I've had pretty good luck with 1904's, the glass bowl on my 215 sat for 25 years and was totally full of gunk, but still the truck ran no idle circuit for some reason. Have you checked out the the threads on 1904's over on IH Only North? Guys are wizards on them over their.

Little bit of googleing suggests a autolite 1100/1101 or Carter YF off of a 240/300

4. eeeorr

eeeorr

Thanks, guys. Rebuilt ones are a crap shoot. We sat on the carport and took two apart and with a rebuild kit made one decent one. But it either overflows or starves if I lower the float too much. I am hoping to swap my vacuum distributor for a mechanical advance so that I can get away from these Holleys and the Load o Matic system they used. Just can't afford $1200 for twin 2 bbl Webers and manifolds.