Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley 1-4 psi fuel regulator problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Mar 22, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I have been having some running rich issues with my flathead lately and was stumped until I looked at my fuel pressure regulator I had set at 2lbs of pressure when I installed it.

I noticed that my 1-4 lb regulator was pushing 9lbs ??

I tried to re-adjust it but no matter how far out I adjust it, it wont get below 4-5 lbs of pressure. I took it apart to see if the diaphragm had a piece of trash in it or something, blew everything clean and re assembled it. Hooked it back up and same problem. No adjustability. :confused:

Im running a Stromberg 97 and a Carter fuel pump. I inspected both the pump and carb as well. The warranty on these from Summit is 90 days, so I'm SOL on that. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've heard many a bad things on those regulators. Some work like a charm and some work like a turd. I think Holley makes a couple different ones.

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I also had one tht was quite sparatic. I'd set it to do 4 dueces at say 3 lbs. then a minute later my fuel pressure gauge on the firewall would be reading 7 psi? Go down the road a bit it'd be at 2 psi? Luckily all the needle & seats did their job even when at times it'd peg out at 8 psi.

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

The holleys have trouble with the low settings.
    Get with uncle Max here on the hamb and try one of his Malpassi (sp ?) regulator/filters they are made for the low settings.....

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Had same trouble this past summer, I took it apart and cleaned it many times before I realized that the cheapo fuel filter was shedding fibres that were getting caught in the ball.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

So buy a new one wait a month and return the old one!! :D

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Already ordered- Muahahaha!! :D

8. jetmek

jetmek

ive had the same problem with those went thru several before i got one that worked

9. madgrinder

madgrinder

This is usually the problem with spring/ball regulators... a tiny nugget of debris from the tank, lines, filter end up making the ball not seat.

10. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Dead head regulators are best set flowing. Take your fuel line to the carb and put it in a bucket.Set the pressure flowing.
    All dead head regulators "creep" until they flow. Thats why you see the higher pressure at the gauge when not at WOT.
    Brandon

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the problem I ran into with the Holley #12-804. After trying to set the pressure on a new vehicle build with just the Carter low psi pump running, and after checking/changing the diaphragm, I screwed the adjuster in full, started the engine, and was finally able to set the desired pressure of 2 1/2 psi. to the 97s. It has remained trouble free for over 2 years/5000 miles. :)