Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hold on to your Craftsman tools...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mathius

Mathius

You know what. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'm not going to argue with you about what it takes to make a quality product because that's way too big a topic and definitely has political ramifications, and quite honestly I just don't care if you disagree with me.

I really don't see how it's relevant to the conversation to begin with. We're discussing the quality of craftsman tools as it relates to them staying in business. Snap On, Mac, etc. might be eating into their market amongst the professional automotive industry, but I would love to see just how much of craftsman's market that is, because IMO, they've always targeted the home craftsman and carpentry first and foremost.

Regardless, I would like to see someone argue that craftsman's tool quality HASN'T declined over the last 5-10 years, but I don't think anyone's going to argue that because it just isn't true.

Mathius

2. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Sad end to a long era of quality tools. I have a toolbox full of Craftsman products and almost every single one of them has worked great for me. RIP Craftsman

3. Deuces

Deuces

They're not dead yet!!!.... If they could at least re-design a more durable ratchet that don't break to replace their old design, I'd bust up all (and I do have plenty) my old ones in a heartbeat and go get them replaced.. Wishful thinking huh??? :rolleyes:

4. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone here still own an old Craftsman lathe???

5. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do not know, in my opinion they are already dead. I keep on nursing my old ratchets because the "new" ones still suck.
    Also I just went in to get a replacement 9/16 x 5/8 box end that I recently broke, some of the "tools" hanging on the racks actually make the Chinese garbage look good. The new wrench is a much cruder forging with the ends now angled instead of offset, plus the sockets are more poorly formed than the worn ones on the old wrench returned, and noticeably off center in the hoops.
    No more crapsman for me . . .

6. It's too bad about Craftsman quality. I have Craftsman wrenches that have been in regular use for over 65 years. Some were purchased by my dad during WWII. First thing he did was engrave his initials and the date in them -GWF 6/43 (June 1943).
    Some of them are even stamped "War Finish". I don't see why they couldn't remain in service for another 70 years. Good stuff.

7. cederholm

cederholm

Soap Opera Digest is going under??? :eek::eek::eek: wtf??!!

8. Deuces

Deuces

Never heard of it, so who cares... :rolleyes:

9. bobscogin

bobscogin

I owned a 12"x36" for 30 years. A good friend has it now. Also have a Craftsman drill press from the early 70's, and had a Craftsman metal shaper from the 50's. The lathe and shaper were made by the Atlas Press division of Clausing Machine Tools. Not sure about the drill press.

Bob

10. Deuces

Deuces

I believe Clausing is still in business...

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I just don't have Craftsman automotive tools, I have their garden tools, water hoses and sprinklers, all guaranteed forever. Makes me sad when I go to Sears and see very few people inside. To lose Sears will be to lose a piece of Americana. Maybe they should return to their roots and do strictly mail order.

12. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Napa tools are craftsman. That's a bummer about A&W we sell them (Yum) lettuce.

13. screwshiney

screwshiney

I agree 100%. I remember finding Craftsman wrenches and sockets in my grandfathers shed that were older than I am now and they worked great. Yet I can't count how many newer 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets i've broken in the past year. Hell a few months ago I broke 2, 1/2" breaker bars at the socket.

14. you might have to go to wallmart to buy your tools from now on.... You can pick up some of their crappy produce too while you are there!!!

15. metalix_421

metalix_421

you and me both, like said above also K Mart and Ace have a few

16. Not yet... but Lowe's just clearanced all their American made Kobalt hand tools, and is replacing them with Chinese made Kobalt branded hand tools... If you think that giving the "job creators" a tax break is going to mean they bring the manufacturing back to the U.S., you are sadly mistaken, they've figured out what they need to do, and will continue to do it.

17. That is merely a prediction by 24/7 Wall Street based on the fact that YUM! Brands has put them up for sale (along with Long John Silvers) because they no longer fit YUM!'s business model.

18. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

i was stationed there 00-05 and i know the kmart you are talking about.
    that kmart was ghetto fabulous!!!
    lol

19. the shadow

the shadow

Craftsman tools (now) are junk, the craftsman tools from the late 1980's and back were good (still have them). but as the need replacing I find that the replacements that they give me (under warrant-free) have poor quality and lack the detail of the older ones. I had to replace a 1/4" socket wrench that I got in 1987, they told me that stle was out of production for many years and gave me a "re-built" newer one. that one lasted 1 day- lost the ratchet action. I took it back and they gave me another "re-built one" that lasted about a month,same deal. I took that back and said I wanted a brand new one & was told thats cannot be done & that all warranty exchanges were for factor "re-built" tools. The manager gave me one he rebuilt himself & that lasted a few weeks. finally they gave me a new one from the lock up & it lasted 6 months I was gonna take it back but I will just scrap it..there tools are junk, there lawn & garden tools are junk & 98% of there employee's don't know what the hell there doing other then killing time & getting paid for it.
    you get what you pay for in this world, i've just come to accept that out country is full of shit products from crappy countries, we sold out our heritage, our work force & our pride for a cheap fast buck...I said it before & I will say it again, this country needs an enima.
    if you want good tools buy old ones from yard sales or from the local garage thats closing because no one wants to pay him for his quality workmanship!

20. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My GOD no more Soap Opera Digest what will I do ?
    Is life worth living anymore ?
    Sobbing in the dark

21. whid

whid

i thought i saw somewhere that summit is also carrying craftsman tools as well.......whid

22. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Yup, Summit has them now, started selling them earlier this year.

As far as where they're made and the quality, the hand tools are pretty much the only thing still made in the USA last time I checked. They're "evolve" brand is made in China. The regular base model tools aren't that great anymore, the "professional" model stuff is much better, and usually all that I buy now.

23. Deuces

Deuces

24. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Along with the Craftsman tools being made now that aren't worth a damn, the ones from Snap-On, Mac & Matco are right there with them. Just more expensive.

25. rodknocker

rodknocker

What kind of tools are worth a damn 57?

26. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Old "MADE IN USA" out of USA materials.

27. RichG

RichG

I don't see too many shapers anymore, it's a shame.

28. Stopped in at Menards today to get some brake clean and noticed they had a display of Craftsman mechanic's tool sets.

29. Yes....I know it's an old thread...don't be hatin'

I noticed that the closest Sears to me (in The Woodlands Mall) is closing.

Now I'll have to drive even further to find the Craftsman brand. I think the Ace Hardwares around here are carrying them now.

fwiw....I worked at the big "class A" Sears store in San Antonio when I got out of the service. Back then, they put all new employees through a two week "academy"....taught us how to be polite with customers, make change properly, etc, etc.

I was working at that store when they switched from replacing whole ratchets to simply telling us to give customers the replacement bag of guts for the ratchets. Holy crap did that make people mad.

I have to say that the 1/2 inch ratchet I bought about 10 years ago isn't near the quality as the 3/8 that I got for Christmas in the early 80's.

30. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

The best quality Craftsman tools are used at the swap meet. The stuff sold new today is crap.